Scott Brown 7, Jordan Clark 70


Matt Green 6, Jamie McCombe 60

Stanley win 4-2 on penalties

ACCRINGTON Stanley are through to the next round of the Checkatrade Trophy after a 4-2 penalty shootout win over League Two side Lincoln City, writes CHARLOTTE COATES.

The Reds twice came back from behind in normal time while Jonny Maxted saved a Matt Rhead penalty before keeping out two Lincoln spot kicks in the shoot-out to send John Coleman’s side into the last 16.

The game started at a fast pace as both sides made their intentions clear.

Lincoln took the lead in the seventh minute after Ben Richards-Everton missed Bernard Mensah’s cross from the left and Matt Green was on hand to finish.

Stanley’s response was immediate and they equalised within a minute through Scott Brown. The midfielder’s surging run got him in to the box and his strike beat the keeper at the near post.

The ever dangerous Offrande Zanzala proved to be a constant threat for the Lincoln defence in the first half with the Reds man able to use his pace to get past the visiting backline on numerous occasions as Stanley threatened.

But against the run of play, Lincoln almost regained the lead with Brown close to adding to his tally but in the wrong goal. Joan Luque led a counter and his shot was almost turned in by the goalscorer but home keeper Maxted was on hand to rescue him.

At the the other end Stanley looked certain to take the lead in the 42nd minute. Zanzala went through on goal but his shot clipped Lincoln keeper Sam Slocombe and trickled on to the inside of the post as the teams went into the break level.

Both teams were a bit more tentative at the start of the second period and it was Lincoln who made the breakthrough when half time substitute Jamie McCombe headed home a free kick in the 61st minute.

Four minutes later the Imps were given a penalty when Green was brought down in the area by Maxted.

Skipper Matt Rhead stepped up but his shot was saved brilliantly by the home keeper.

After struggling to create anything, Stanley pulled level thanks to a fantastic curling effort by sub Jordan Clark who cut inside and whipped a shot in to the far corner.

Stanley had all the momentum and sub Sean McConville went close twice in the closing stages but in the end penalties were needed.

Maxted made two early saves and although Dan Barlaser missed for the home side, Clark converted to send Stanley through.

Stanley: Maxted, Richards-Everton, Brown, Zanzala, Hall, Sykes, Mingoia (McConville 70), Anderton, Platt, Charman, (Clark 65) Conneely (Barlaser 79). Subs: Savin, Rodgers, Mangan, Scott.

Attendance: 746 (154)