ACCRINGTON Stanley were denied three points at Coventry City by a late Michael Doyle goal in a 1-1 draw.

After a forgettable first 45 minutes the game burst into life in the second period and Offrande Zanzala looked to have earned the Reds the points when he crashed home.

But the hosts earned a share of the spoils when Doyle tapped home three minutes from time.

A draw was probably the right result with neither side displaying too much in the way of quality but John Coleman will feel hard done by given how close his side were to victory.

Nonetheless Stanley have emerged from a tricky four game spell with five points and just one defeat and remain firmly in the play-off picture.

Jordan Clark had the first shot of the match but his effort on 11 minutes was tame and didn’t trouble Lee Burge in the home goal.

Coventry had been neat but ineffective in the opening 20 minutes but should have been in front through Jordy Hiwula but the attacker headed over from two yards.

The home side’s only other real chance of a poor first 45 minutes when Connor Chaplin flicked an instinctive effort goalwards but Connor Ripley was equal to it.

Stanley struggled to create much themselves but Clark, who scored twice in the Reds’ win here last season, almost added to his tally. He played a neat one two with Kee saw and advanced into the box before hitting the bar with a deflected shot.

The visitors began the second half on the front foot and forced a succession of early corners before Zanzala made the breakthrough.

Callum Johnson intercepted the ball on halfway and was allowed to stride forward before finding Zanzala who shifted the ball onto his right foot and crashed home.

The Reds looked on course to see the game out with Ripley denying Luke Thomas with a fine save, while the visitors restricted Coventry to half chances.

But, with the points within sight, substitute Jodi Jones outworked Johnson and although his angled drive was saved by Ripley the ball fell to Michael Doyle inside the goal area and he tapped home a leveller.

That sparked a frantic final few minutes with Clark denied by Burge at the death as it ended honours even.