Finley 35, Zanzala 63, 80, Barlaser 90+4


Vincenti 58

ACCRINGTON Stanley took their first steps on a potential road to Wembley with a commanding Checkatrade Trophy win over Macclesfield Town.

The Silkmen were managerless after sacking Mark Yates on the eve of the game following a winless start which has left them propping up the Football League.

Despite Stanley being on top it was Macclesfield who had the best chances in the first 16 minutes with Tyrone Marsh and Scott Wilson forcing Jonny Maxted into action.

Stanley responded as Andy Mangan’s corner was met by Matt Platt in a central position and the defender unleashed a shot that cannoned off Rhys Taylor. The goalkeeper could not have known much about it, such was the power behind the drive.

Defender Ben Richards-Everton then worked the ball onto his left foot from a recycled corner, and was unlucky to bend his shot wide, before Taylor denied Mingoia what would have been a superb finish after advancing down the right.

Stanley came on stronger as the half wore on and Offrande Zanzala – one of eight changes from Saturday’s starting XI - had two chances in quick succession. The first was a header, stopped by Taylor, the second came from a burst into the box, but from a tight angle he could only fire wide of the near post.

Stanley had been denied the spectacular, so found the straightforward approach the best. And it was no surprise when the breakthrough came in the 35th minute.

Zanzala surged down the right and clipped in a cross that an unmarked Finley was on hand to head in from close range.

Macclesfield managed to get themselves level before the hour when Michael Rose lofted a long free kick into the box for an unmarked Peter Vincenti to head home, giving the 53 travelling fans something to cheer.

Parity lasted only five minutes through, and once Zanzala regained the lead for the Reds neither he, or they, looked back.

He headed in Dan Barlaser’s free kick to make it 2-1 and was celebrating again soon after when he diverted home Connor Hall’s inviting cross.

It was game over then, but there was still time for a fourth, with Barlaser scoring his first for Stanley with virtually the last kick of the game.

STANLEY: Jonny Maxted 6; Matt Platt 7, Ross Sykes 7, Ben Richards-Everton 7, Nick Anderton 7; Piero Mingoia 7, Sam Finley 7 (Liam Nolan 82), Dan Barlaser 8, Andy Mangan 6 (Jordan Clark 76); Offrande Zanzala 8 (Andy Scott 90), Connor Hall 8. Subs not used: Tony Warner, Michael Ihiekwe, Zehn Mohammed, Billy Kee.

MACCLESFIELD: Rhys Taylor; Jared Hodgkiss, Keith Lowe, Fiacre Kelleher, Dave Fitzpatrick; Koby Arthur (Peter Vincenti 42), Callum Maycock, Michael Rose, Malachi Napa; Scott Wilson (Nathan Blissett 58), Tyrone Marsh (Harry Smith 68). Subs not used: Luke Simpson, Jamie Grimes, Ben Stephens, James Pearson.