TONY Mowbray promised changes – but also no let up in the spirit and intensity we have become accustomed to from this Rovers side.

And that was demonstrated by a second half fightback at Premier League Bournemouth as Rovers came back from 2-0 down to almost send the game to penalties.

A Craig Conway strike and an Adam Armstrong penalty drew them level after they trailed to Junior Stanislas’ opener and Jordon Ibe’s spot kick.

But, after Derrick Williams saw red for deliberate handball, Callum Wilson came up with a 94th minute winner to knock Rovers out of the Carabao Cup.

A number of senior names were left at home, with Mowbray making six changes from the win at Stoke which included a debut for Jack Rodwell and first start for Ben Brereton.

Operating from the right, Brereton had the ball in the net inside the opening minute, with a composed finish from the edge of the area, only to be flagged offside.

That signalled an open start to the game with Brereton going close again when Armstrong’s cross was palmed in to his path, but it deflected off him and wide.

David Raya made the first of several excellent saves in the eighth minute tipping over a Simon Francis cross which deflected off Amari’i Bell and looked to be looping in before the Spaniard’s intervention.

That chance was carved down the hosts’ right with Kasey Palmer leaving Bell exposed.

And that was where the opening goal came from. Francis again got clear of Palmer and his pull back found the waiting Stanislas who hooked the ball confidently beyond Raya.

The Rovers keeper kept out a dipping free kick from the former Burnley man 60 seconds later as the Premier League side began to take control.

It would have been 2-0 were it not for a string of Raya saves, the best of the lot coming seven minutes before the break as he dived to his left to keep out Jermain Defoe’s header from six yards. The keeper was then quick off his line to smother another Defoe effort.

Rovers were at their best when the game was stretched, looking to use their pace on the break to good effect. However, it was a set play which almost brought them level, but Darragh Lenihan appeared surprised that Joe Rothwell’s corner found its way to him and he could only turn the ball in to the arms of Artur Boruc.

Rovers started the second half brightly, with Armstrong dragging a shot wide after being played in by Rodwell.

But the home side got the next goal. Lenihan pulled down Ibe as the winger looked to break away from him on the byline, with the referee awarding a spot-kick from which Ibe dispatched with ease.

Harrison Reed was sent on for Rovers and curled an effort wide shortly after his arrival before Rovers pulled one back.

Conway, on his 500th career appearance, nicked the ball off Jefferson Lerma, drove towards goal and fired an effort through the defences of Boruc.

Rovers were starting to get on top and the hosts responded with a double change.

But a second penalty of the night allowed Rovers to level. It came via a wild tackle from Tyrone Mings on Brereton after Rothwell and Conway had shots blocked. Armstrong picked the ball up and found the net, via the left hand post.

It was anybody’s game from there on in as Williams brilliantly blocked a Marc Pugh shot while Lenihan did the same from Lewis Cook and Josh King’s efforts.

But, as ever with Rovers, there was a frantic finish.

And after Williams saw red, Wilson scrambled the ball over the line in the fourth added minute to see the Premier League side through.