BURNLEY put their poor start to the Premier League well and truly behind them with a four goal rout of Bournemouth.

The Clarets had sunk to the foot of the table ahead of this clash with the in-form Cherries, but in a dazzling 90 minutes the confidence returned to Burnley as Matej Vydra and Aaron Lennon struck before half-time, before a late Ashley Barnes double put the icing on the cake.

It was the Clarets biggest ever win the Premier League and the first they’d hit four goals in a game since a 4-1 win over Sunderland on New Year’s Eve 2016.

The victory against former boss Eddie Howe’s side sealed a remarkable turnaround after last week’s defeat at Wolves, when a 1-0 scoreline flattered an abject Burnley.

Sean Dyche could have opted for any number of changes to his side after that Molineux setback. In the end he went for three. In came Matt Lowton, Ashley Westwood and Vydra, making his first start, and to the bench went Phil Bardsley, Jeff Hendrick and Barnes.

Burnley looked better from the first whistle at Turf Moor, putting those four straight league defeats behind them.

They survived a couple of nervous moments, with the dangerous Cherries threatening when Nathan Ake’s shot from a short corner looped up off Ben Mee and onto the bar, before a rapid counter attack saw Josh King’s cross just evade Callum Wilson, who was seeking a tap-in at the back post.

But it was the Clarets who spent most of the first half on the front foot. Sam Vokes was just unable to force home Johann Berg Gudmundsson’s corner midway through the half when it unexpectedly reached him at the back post.

It was full debutant Vydra who struck the opener. Vokes headed Jack Cork’s cross down into the path of Westwood near the penalty spot. Twice he saw shots blocked by Ake, but the second deflection fell to Vydra at the back post and he made no mistake in converting from six yards.

It was the first time Burnley had lead in the league this season and within two minutes they’d doubled it. Gudmundsson worked himself a yard of space to curl in a right-wing cross which flew over the head of Vokes, but the alert Lennon was arriving at pace at the back post and he slid in to poke the ball beyond Asmir Begovic.

Vokes was close again early in the second half, clipping a half-volley wide from Lowton’s low cross.

At the other end Jefferson Lerma drilled a 25-yarder just over, before forcing Joe Hart into a routine save from 18 yards.

But Wales international David Brooks was beginning to pull the strings for Bournemouth and on the hour mark he collected a loose ball and broke into the area, rifling a left-footed shot goalwards from 12 yards, only for Hart to make a fine save with his feet.

Chris Wood was introduced by Dyche for Vydra, immediately going close when he glanced Gudmundsson’s cross over, while Lowton’s drilled low ball in hit Begovic’s legs and wouldn’t fall for either Wood or Vokes, who were hunting a tap-in.

Vokes was next to make way for Barnes and he sealed the points late on. There was more good work from Lennon in the build-up, skinning Simon Francis on the left before finding Gudmundsson with a cross. The Icelander’s volley from 12 yards out was deflected on to the post, but Barnes reacted first to turn it home.

There was still time for a fourth. Again Lennon was involved, breaking clear down the right before pulling the ball back for Barnes to sweep home from 18 yards.