BLACKBURN Hawks coach Steve Duncombe is relishing this weekend’s double header having seen his side secure their first points of the season last time out.

Hawks were impressive winners over Sutton Sting on Sunday, 24 hours after winning at Murrayfield Racers in the NIHL North Cup.

They face a hectic schedule over the next few months with regular double headers, starting with a cup clash with Telford Tigers today (6pm) followed by an NIHL Moralee Conference trip to Whitley Warriors tomorrow (5pm).

Duncombe is expecting a tough test against Tigers, one of the strongest sides in the division, but believes his men can pose the Shropshire outfit problems.

“We know what Telford are about, they are a good strong team who are well-drilled,” said Duncombe.

“They have a lot of scoring power so it is nice to have a bit of confidence going into that game.

“Six of next seven weekends have two matches and I much prefer the two games a weekend.

“You find by the second game on a Sunday everyone is much more switched on.

“This is really where the season gets going and you start to see where we are as a team.

“Things are coming together. We just needed that first couple of wins and a first win at home and I think we will be alright now.”

Duncombe could face a tough call between the sticks for the weekend fixtures such was the form of 16-year-old Harrison Walker. He was given the nod for the cup clash in Scotland ahead of the more experienced Stu Ashton and Niks Trapans and performed so well he kept his place for the league game.

And Duncombe and captain James Neil have both been effusive in their praise of the talented teenager.

“Harrison Walker, at 16-years-old impressed me, it didn’t faze him one bit,” said the coach.

Meanwhile, Blackburn Hawks 2 are on the road at Coventry Blaze in the NIHL Laidler Conference today (7.15pm).

The Hawks then host Hull Jets tomorrow (5.30pm) seeking their first points of the season after an opening day 13-3 defeat to Bradford Bulldogs last weekend.

Joe Charlton scored twice for the East Lancashire side while Owen Woods was also on target.