STANLEY crashed out of the Carabao Cup in a bizarre game at the One Call Stadium, losing 6-1 to League Two Mansfield Town.

A Reds side showing six changes from the weekend win over Bristol Rovers took the lead in the first round tie but were sent home on the wrong end of a heavy defeat with Nottingham Forest loanee Tyler Walker bagging at hat trick for the hosts.

It started well for John Coleman’s men, with midfielder Sam Finley marking his first start for the club with a fine goal, spinning into the area, evading the attention of two defenders and picking out the bottom right corner with his left foot.

It was a short lived lead though as the Stags were soon level from the penalty spot. Otis Khan threaded a pass into the box for Walker who got to the ball before the advancing Accrington keeper Jonny Maxted, who caught him. Referee Seb Stockbridge pointed to the spot and Walker sent Maxted the wrong way to level.

Four minutes later it was Walker against Maxted from the spot again, this time in more peculiar circumstances. Scott Brown cleared the ball from the byline inside the Stanley box, Mansfield’s Callum Butcher hit the deck and the referee’s assistant flagged for another penalty. Walker repeated the trick to make it 2-1.

Now the visitors were aggrieved and lost focus, conceding a third moments later. This time it was a Mansfield counter attack, with Butcher bursting down the right and picking out Khan inside the area who smashed a shot past Maxted.

The feeling of frustration grew and grew, with boss Coleman booked after smashing a loose ball that came into his dugout, while Offrande Zanzala looked to be caught in the box by Krystian Pearce but kept his feet and received no reward other than a corner.

Even when fortune seemed to favour the Reds, when a dreadful clearance from goalkeeper Bobby Olejnik cannoned off Sean McConville, they couldn’t make the most of it as McConville failed to get round the retreating keeper.

And it soon got worse when Khan surged past the statuesque Harvey Rodgers and crossed for Walker to flick home his third and Mansfield’s fourth.

After the break the Reds looked to get themselves back into the game. Olejnik had to produce an acrobatic save to tip Piero Mingoia’s 25-yard effort over the bar.

There was a further blow for the visitors when McConville was caught by Jacob Mellis and, after attempting to play on, was forced to limp off, reacting angrily to the home crowd as he exited with stewards and the fourth official having to get involved.

Four became five for the home side moments later when CJ Hamilton burst down the left and played the ball into the box for substitute Danny Rose to sweep home from six yards.

Stanley had been unbeaten in 13 meetings with the Stags but it was a very different story this time as David Flitcroft’s team comfortably booked their place in the second round draw.

They completed the half dozen in stoppage time when Hamilton lashed home from inside the box to complete a chastening night for the League One new boys.

Stanley: Maxted, Rodgers, Platt, Hughes, Wood, Conneely (Mangan 67), Brown (Nolan 68), Finley, Mingoia, McConville (Clark 63), Zanzala. Subs: Johnson, Richards-Everton, Williams, Ripley