BURNLEY ended their week in Cork with a narrow win over the League of Ireland champions - thanks to the Clarets’ forgotten Irishman.

While internationals Robbie Brady, Jeff Hendrick, Stephen Ward, Jon Walters and Kevin Long have again attracted plenty of interest back in their home country, it was Drogheda-born Jimmy Dunne who scored the goal at Turner’s Cross.

The 20-year-old has been given the chance to impress this week after a fine loan spell at Accrington Stanley in the second half of last season and he did his cause no harm with a composed second half performance, capped with a goal.

It was a contest that lacked the intensity of Cork City’s Champions League qualifier with Legia Warsaw in this stadium three nights earlier, when 6,000 fans had packed in for a memorable occasion.

The sun was shining again the game, predictably, lacked any real cutting edge. While fans want to see results, and managers would like to see results, the first aim for Sean Dyche is to get fitness into his players.

After a week of training in Fota Island this was a first run out for his squad, just 13 days out from the Europa League opener with Aberdeen.

In terms of getting minutes into his players it was a valuable exercise, with most playing 45, while Aiden O’Neill game through the entire game and Ashley Barnes was withdrawn early as he continues to recover from a shoulder injury.

It was a slow start to proceedings on the pitch in pre-season for the Clarets, with chances at a premium in the early stages.

Chris Wood hooked a volley straight at Peter Cherrie from a Dwight McNeil corner, while Nahki Wells showed quick feet to dance into the area but was then thwarted by a last-ditch tackle by Alan Bennett as he bore down on goal.

At the other end Tom Heaton made a comfortable save from Kieran Sadlier’s long-range drive. Sadlier was looking a danger for City down the left and he drove into the area and on the outside of Ben Mee but sent his shot into the side-netting.

Jack Cork was close to breaking the deadlock just before the half hour, winning the ball in midfield and skipping inside a lunging challenge. He drove towards the area but could only clip an 18-yard shot narrowly wide.

It was 10 changes at the break for the Clarets, with Aiden O’Neill the first half survivor as he moved to right back in the absence of Matt Lowton.

O’Neill created the first chance of the half as he got forward, sending in a low cross which Sam Vokes poked wide at the back post.

The Clarets were beginning to work Cherrie in the City goal. Ashley Westwood’s deep cross found Vokes in space but his powerful header was pushed away by the goalkeeper, who then repeated the trick to keep out O’Neill’s long range strike.

Ashley Barnes was next to go close, picked out by Dan Agyei’s pass he looked to be in only for Bennett to get back and deflect his shot wide.

Burnley took the lead in front of the group of Clarets who had made the journey over to Cork. Ashley Westwood had been impressive since coming on and his out-swinging corner was headed goalwards by James Tarkowski. That effort was blocked but the ball fell to Dunne who tucked it home from close range to secure victory.

Burnley first half: Tom Heaton, Phil Bardsley, Kevin Long, Ben Mee, Stephen Ward, Dwight McNeil, Aiden O’Neill, Jack Cork, Aaron Lennon, Nahki Wells, Chris Wood

Burnley second half: Anders Lindegaard, Aiden O’Neill, James Tarkowski, Jimmy Dunne, Charlie Taylor, Jonathan Walters, Ashley Westwood, Jeff Hendrick, Dan Agyei, Ashley Barnes (Dwight McNeil 82), Sam Vokes