THE Premier League season kicked off in the grandest possible fashion for Burnley on a memorable day in the capital.

Having taken until the end of April to win their first top flight away game in 2016/17 the Clarets broke their duck on day one of the new season - and how.

An opening day trip to champions Chelsea didn’t have the look of the comfortable start Sean Dyche’s side were hoping for, but at half-time at Stamford Bridge they were in dreamland.

On a lovely, sunny day in London Dyche’s side stormed the champions’ citadel to leave the Bridge faithful, if not a furious Antonio Conte, speechless.

The mayhem began with Gary Cahill’s 14th minute red card and the Clarets took advantage. A Sam Vokes double and a stunning volley from Stephen Ward saw Burnley go into half-time 3-0 up.

There was a fightback of sorts. Alvaro Morata got one back with 20 minutes to go before Cesc Fabregas was also sent-off. The nine men edged closer when David Luiz scored two minutes from

time but Burnley held on for a famous, fantastic victory.

As the Clarets prepared for their first competitive Turf Moor fixture of the season (the Hannover fans causing chaos during the abandoned pre-season friendly at the start of the month appeared not to grasp the idea of a friendly) there was transfer news in the air.

In the build-up to the Chelsea game Andre Gray had left Burnley, moving to Watford for £18million as his contract entered its final 12 months. He was following Michael Keane, who had signed

for Everton earlier in the summer, out of the club, but he didn’t go with the same feelings of gratitude from Clarets fans.

‘Are you watching Andre Gray?’ had been belted out at Stamford Bridge and now his replacement was close. A club-record £15million deal for Leeds United striker Chris Wood was imminent and the move would be confirmed two days after Burnley had faced West Brom at Turf Moor.

Wood wasn’t to be the only new arrival up front for the Clarets, with Nahki Wells following on deadline day, completing a £5million move from Huddersfield Town.

Looking at the Baggies troubles since this now looks like one of the Premier League’s shocks of the season. Burnley couldn’t build on their opening day heroics and Hal Robson-Kanu rose from the bench to score and then get sent-off, but Tony Pulis’ side held on. They wouldn’t win a league game again for 147 days.

The draw for the Carabao Cup first round had been as shambolic as the Ewood Park security, but Burnley brushed off the threat of Rovers and the fan that tried to confront some of their side to cement East Lancashire bragging rights.

Dyche played a relatively strong side and the Clarets were far too good for their League One opponents, with first-half goals from Jack Cork and Robbie Brady sealing victory.

August ended with a trip to Wembley, the temporary home of Tottenham, as the Clarets daunting start to the league season continued.

Dele Alli put last season’s runners-up ahead early in the second half but in injury time league debutant Wood raced on to a Brady ball and fired past Hugo Lloris.

Burnley had four points from trips to Chelsea and Tottenham.

It had been a dream start. Would it ever be this good again? Well, yes.