ROVERS’ ‘We Are On Our Way Back’ slogan certainly rang true at Ewood Park on Saturday.

A crowd of more than 27,000 packed into the sun-kissed stadium to see Tony Mowbray’s side conclude their time in League One with a 2-1 win over Oxford United.

Wigan’s 1-0 win at Doncaster meant the title went to the DW Stadium but few in East Lancashire cared about that.

The day felt like a throwback. Rovers shirts were everywhere you looked in town ahead of kick off and Ewood was rocking from minute one to 90.

If the club and supporters continue to marry together their commitment and ambition like they have this season then this Rovers juggernaut could be difficult to stop.

Support for Mowbray’s men has been incredible this term, particularly on the road where it has been away day sell-out after away day sell-out.

The novelty of new grounds played a part but it’s performances on the pitch which inspire fans and Rovers grew into their campaign, collecting result after result in a scintillating second half of the season.

The supporters and the club are beginning to come together and a lot of that is down to Mowbray. He seems to the right man at the right time and just fits.

Rarely does he get carried away, rarely does he show much emotion but boy can he inspire a team.

He has recruited well, with support from the owners, and moulded a squad Blackburn can be the proud of.

Make no mistake, Rovers and Mowbray went into this season expecting to challenge for top spot but the name of your cub or your history does not get you promotion, hard work does. And Rovers have had that in spades this term.

That was evident on Saturday when, against a mid-table Oxford team who more than played their part in an entertaining affair, Mowbray’s men found a way to dig out a result.

In truth it could have been comfortable.

After a couple of early forays forward from the visitors, Rovers took control and opened the scoring 13 minutes in.

The goal came from an unlikely source with Darragh Lenihan peeling away from his marker at the back post to guide a header across goal and past former Rovers keeper Simon Eastwood. Lenihan celebrated his first Rovers goal, in his 88th appearance for the club, enthusiastically and the noise level went from loud to very loud.

Mowbray’s men were getting plenty of joy down the right with Ryan Nyambe and Dominic Samuel combining well. The duo created space for Richie Smallwood to advance into the area and tee up Adam Armstrong but he was denied by Eastwood at the near post.

A lively Elliott Bennett run handed the hosts a golden opportunity to double their lead on the stroke of half time when the winger was upended by Eastwood in the penalty area.

Charlie Mulgrew stepped up to take the spot kick but his effort was pushed around the post by Eastwood.

Bennett was involved again shortly after when he picked up a clever Graham lay off but his shot was off target and Rovers had to make do with a one goal interval lead.

After a quiet start to the second half Rovers sprung into life when Bennett saw a low drive tipped wide by Eastwood before Derrick Williams headed over Mulgrew’s corner from close range.

Samuel, who was still finding plenty of room on the right, came close when he was played in by Corry Evans but his fierce drive was well saved by Eastwood who was enjoying a good game against his former club.

Oxford equalised against the run of play when James Henry finished neatly across David Raya after good work by Obika. The forward had come close to scoring himself moments earlier but was denied by a brilliant Ryan Nyambe block. But he recycled the ball and crossed for Henry to steer home.

Rovers searched for a way back into the contest with Armstrong denied three times in quick succession by Eastwood.

Tony Mowbray then threw on Jack Payne as one of three quick changes and the Huddersfield loanee made an immediate impact as he restored Rovers’ lead on 76 minutes with a powerful right foot drive.

The strike means Payne has now scored for Rovers against Oxford and for Oxford against Rovers in the same season having been on loan with the U’s earlier in the campaign.

Rovers thought they had a third just minutes later when Graham bundled home a Samuel cross but the referee spotted an infringement.

The closing stages were played out with few chances and the final moments were marred by a pitch invasion by a minority of home fans, but that didn’t detract from the party atmosphere as the players celebrated on the pitch after the game.

Roll on next season.