ROVERS secured an immediate return to the Championship after Charlie Mulgrew’s late header earned a 1-0 win at Doncaster Rovers.

The result means Tony Mowbray’s side will be back in the second tier next term while they can still overhaul leaders Wigan and bring the title back to East Lancashire.

But that is incidental.

The big prize was promotion and those packed in to the away end at the Keepmoat Stadium and those following the game back in East Lancashire, will rightly celebrate a superb achievement.

This record-breaking season has hopefully built some foundations to bring back the good times.

Stories of Richie Smallwood’s winner at Fleetwood, packing out half the stadium at Bury, Bradley Dack’s showreel of silky skills and the atmosphere in the second half of last week’s win over Peterborough will be regaled in years to come.

This season has created many a standout moments. And what is football without memories?

Rovers now have a team spirit, individual talent and a feel-good factor of which they can be proud. They have packed out away ends up and down the country so it was fitting that it was in front of another sold-out away following in which they achieved their promotion aim.

Mowbray has masterminded a run of one defeat in their last 33 matches, an unprecedented club run. Rovers have now amassed 13 victories away from home, a club record, achieved their most points in a single season, eclipsing the 91 in 2000/01, and matched the number of wins, 27, they managed in their Premier League title winning season of 1994/95.

With this momentum behind them, who knows where it could take them?

This team has shown great character to deal with the tag of promotion favourites, something they have embraced rather than shied away from, as well as overcoming a difficult start which left them lagging behind the early pace-setters.

Last night Rovers were aiming to take care of business themselves and not leave their fate to matters elsewhere.

They started the game on the front foot, going close twice in the opening 15 minutes.

As the rain poured down, it was a confident start from Mowbray’s men.

Adam Armstrong was as bright as any Rovers player in the opening 45 minutes and it was his slide rule pass which sent in Danny Graham early on. He showed good feet to take the ball around Marko Marosi but his shot rolled agonisingly along the line and wide of the far post.

Rovers couldn’t quite believe they hadn’t taken the lead moments later. The ball fell to Armstrong who drove an effort goalwards from the right edge of the box, and although Craig Alcock did well to block it on the line, it seemed a formality that Graham would turn it in. But he couldn’t sort out his his feet and Marosi gratefully gathered.

The keeper showed good handling to deal with a Mulgrew 25-yard free-kick which skipped off the turf and towards the bottom corner.

The attacking waves kept coming from the visitors and Craig Conway, restored to the team in place of Marcus Antonsson, was next to go close. After collecting an Armstrong cross he cut inside on his right foot, but his shot whizzed just over the bar.

As news of a Peterborough goal at Shrewsbury began to filter through to the away end, the noise among the travelling fans cranked up.

The travelling supporters were on their feet in appreciation of a David Raya save in the 33rd minute as he moved to his left to expertly tip an Alfie Beestin header past the post.

Rovers went close again before the break when Dack deflected Armstrong’s effort inches wide.

The hosts began the second half brighter and Rovers had a let-off in the early minutes. Referee Eddie Ilderton failed to allow play to go on with Jon Marquis clean through on goal, instead halting proceedings to book Mulgrew for an earlier foul.

Rovers didn’t quite have their first-half fluency in the second period but they cranked up the pressure as the game ticked in to its final quarter.

Doncaster were bravely defending their box but were fortunate to see a Mulgrew corner deflect onto their own post and away while only good defending from Mathieu Baudry denied Graham a certain tap-in from Dack’s cross.

Jack Payne, Dominic Samuel and Antonsson were sent on as Rovers tried to make sure of the win but it was captain marvel Mulgrew who came up with the magic moment, heading in a Dack corner with 10 minutes to play.

It wouldn’t be Rovers without a nervous finish as Doncaster chased an equaliser but Mowbray’s men had done enough and celebratory scenes marked the referee’s final whistle.

Rovers are at Charlton this weekend before they host a promotion party a week on Saturday at Ewood Park and you’re all invited. It’s official: Blackburn Rovers are on their way back.