TOM Heaton and Jon Walters featured as Burnley Under-23s moved off the foot of the Professional Development League North after a 2-0 win over Coventry City, writes Joshua Bunting.

It was Michael Duff's side who started the better and inside the first minute they created a chance to open the scoring as Walters played in Tunde Bayode, but his effort saw City keeper Corey Addai claim down low to his left.

Coventry were then forced into making an early change as Sky Blues first team player Stuart Beavon was forced off due to concussion.

Jason Farndon's side created their first opening on 10 minutes as Billy Stedman, who replaced Beavon, played a defence splitting pass to Kyle Finn at the back post, but he fired his strike over the crossbar when he really should have made Heaton work.

Burnley were playing with so much confidence after winning their previous two matches and they were inches away from taking the lead as Ntumba Massanka crossed for Walters but the Republic of Ireland international could only fire wide of the target.

As the tempo of the game slowed down it wasn’t until the half hour mark when Walters swung in a cross for Dwight McNeil, but his powerful effort was well blocked by Dominic Hyam.

Walters then has another fine chance to break the deadlock minutes later as he met Bayode’s cross but his effort was well claimed by Addai.

Addai, who was on loan to non-league side Dulwich Hamlet last month, put in a great performance for the Sky Blues and he made another fantastic save on before the break as he tipped Aiden O’Neill's dipping free-kick just over the crossbar when it looked like it was heading for the net.

It was Coventry who created the final opportunity of the half as Zain Westbrooke picked out Chris Camwell but his strike was well kept out by the reflexes of Heaton.

Burnley started the second half the better of the sides and went close to scoring on 54 minutes as Bayode danced his way down the wing before his cross nearly found the feet of the sliding Walters at the back post.

It was all Clarets pressure in the second period and they should have scored when Massanka met a corner perfectly, but he flicked it wide of the target.

In a frantic end to end game it was that man Addai who denied Burnley once again as he made yet another brilliant reaction save as he tipped over McNeil's free-kick from 25 yards out.

However, Coventry broke straight away with Finn as he danced his way into the box going one on one with Heaton but just as he was about to pull the trigger he was denied by a fantastic last-ditch tackle from Josh Benson.

It was the Clarets who took the lead however on 70 minutes as Bayode scored directly from a corner, the ball missing everybody on its way into the net leaving Addai stunned.

Coventry didn’t give up and within minutes could have been back level as Eccles was played in by Finn before his thumping effort was pushed away by Heaton, who made a strong impression in the sticks as he continues his comeback from injury.

Duff's side were then to wrap up the points in the final minute as Benson played a long ball into Massnaka before the striker looped his effort over the head of Addai and into the net.