ACCRINGTON Stanley slipped to a third successive League Two defeat without scoring as they went down 2-0 at Grimsby Town.

It was an achingly familiar story for struggling Stanley, who created a number of very good chances but were unable to find a way through and were then punished at the other end of the pitch.

A side showing just one change, with Aaron Chapman coming in for Elliot Parish in goal, were looking to reproduce the same kind of performance as against leaders Plymouth last time out but with a better result and they set about creating early chances.

After home pressure in the opening minutes the Reds looked the most likely with Jordan Clark placing a shot straight at debutant goalkeeper Dean Henderson before seizing on a rebound after a Rommy Boco effort was blocked by a defender, only for the keeper to turn the ball round the post for a corner.

John Coleman’s side continued to press, with John O’Sullivan backheeling into the path of Boco down the right only for Henderson to save again, this time getting down low at his near post.

Billy Kee then tried his luck, turning sharply on the edge of the box but guiding his attempt wide of the left post.

Grimsby’s best effort had been an Omar Bogle header over from an offside position but they found the net with their first shot on target.

Winger Tom Bolarinwa looked the liveliest player for the Mariners but his goal owed plenty to a slice of fortune as he burst down the centre towards Omar Beckles who lost his footing, hit the deck and allowed Bolarinwa into the box to slide the ball past Chapman and make it 1-0.

The Reds had no response in the first half but felt aggrieved on the stroke of half time when Danny Andrew seemed to be late on Seamus Conneely but referee Ross Joyce took no action and there were ugly scenes as the players and staff left the field.

After the break the wind was in Stanley’s favour and they pressed again, with Henderson saving from point blank range from Mark Hughes after Kee’s shot was deflected.

The Reds pressured thereafter but without making a clear opening for a long period.

Instead the home side threatened on the counter attack, with Bogle seeing Chapman hold a volley before having a shot deflected just wide.

Soon the pattern returned though, with O’Sullivan firing wide before sub Shay McCartan danced into the box and pulled the trigger only for the outstanding Henderson to save with his legs.

A Kee free kick was then deflected over and the same player headed wide .

Stanley’s recent run was then summed up as Bogle played in Ashley Chambers on the counter and he surged into the penalty area to fire in the second goal.

A Stanley goal may have provided some consolation but Henderson had other ideas, denying Clark at the far post before throwing himself at the feet of sub Terry Gornell to complete another miserable day in the final third for the Reds.