ON an evening of disharmony at Ewood Park, Rovers surrendered a lead and then had to hang on for a point against Wolves.

Sam Gallagher had put his side in front with a sweet 13th-minute volley and after weathering a storm before half-time, Owen Coyle’s side looked well-placed to collect a vital home victory.

But after fans headed for the exits on 75 minutes, part of the 1875 protest against the club owners Venky’s, Dave Edwards grabbed the initiative to head in an equaliser and Rovers had to survive a few late scares to get something out of the game.

Boss Coyle made two changes from the side that lost 1-0 at Bristol City a week ago.

Gordon Greer returned at centre-half in place of the injured Tommie Hoban and Charlie Mulgrew came in at left-back for Derrick Williams.

Wolves set the early pace, with Helder Costa looking their best outlet down the right flank.

He beat Mulgrew on the outside and fired in a low cross that Jason Steele gathered comfortably, before testing the stand-in full-back’s pace again but Mulgrew put in a well-timed tackle.

Then came the breakthrough as Gallagher rippled the net with a peach of a half-volley.

Jason Lowe found space on the right, but his initial cross was blocked a sliding Kortney Hause.

However, the Rovers skipper didn’t give up and his second attempt was clipped back to Gallagher on the penalty spot for the striker to unleash a lovely strike that flew into the roof of the net.

The home fans who were in their seats for the 13th-minute were delighted to see the loan man’s sixth goal of the season, but three minutes later the atmosphere changed as those taking part in the protest entered the arena.

Chants of ‘We want Venky’s out’ and ‘There’s only one Gary Bowyer’ rang around the ground as they made their feelings towards the owners clear.

It seemed to have an effect on the players, as Rovers looked distracted and allowed Wolves to take find some momentum.

Conor Coady saw a shot blocked by Greer and then fired over from 12 yards out after Jon Dadi Bodvarsson had cleverly headed a cross into his path. The former Liverpool midfielder’s deflected effort then forced Steele into a smart save with his legs.

The closest Wolves came during the spell saw them go within inches of equalising.

Bodvarsson, who was keeping the Rovers defence busy, got to the byline on the right and fired across a ball that Dave Edwards read.

The midfielder’s near-post run was timed to perfection, but his cheeky back-heel attempt rolled just wide of Steele’s far post.

Coady fired over the bar from range before Rovers finally managed to get their foot on the ball and take the sting out of the Wolves resurgence.

Ben Marshall was dropping inside to look for possession and, after picked up the ball on the left, he cut in onto his right foot and curled a shot towards Ikeme’s far post that needed a deflection to carry it just wide.

Emnes, full of energy as always, was alive to the chance when Marshall surged forward again. He got the pass he wanted, but lost his balance when about to shoot and lacked power to trouble the Wolves keeper.

Rovers were finishing the half stronger and when Gallagher fed Lowe on the overlap, the full-back’s cross was inches away from Conway at the far post.

Wolves made a change at the break, with former Preston North End goalkeeper Andy Lonergan replacing Ikeme.

But it was their hosts who made the early running, with Marshall probing for a way through.

He almost found Conway on a diagonal run into the box, with the clearance appearing to hit a Wolves hand. He was then inches away from finding Gallagher’s head.

Mulgrew copped a high foot from Costa and lined up the free-kick from 20 yards, but blazed it well over the bar.

By now the visitors - without a win in five - were upping the tempo in search of an equaliser, but that meant Coyle’s side could look to pick them off on the break.

Emnes gathered a clearance on halfway, but overhit his pass over the full-back that would have sent Conway clear on goal.

Steele was called into action, punching clear after Marshall was booked for a foul on Costa on the goal-line and sub Joao Teixeira’s set-piece was fizzed into the danger area.

Darragh Lenihan ventured up for a corner and was unlucky to see his volley blocked after the initial ball had been half-cleared.

Gallagher had been quiet for a while but came alive again when  Emnes wriggled free on the left and cut back a cross for the striker, who saw his close-range shot saved by Lonergan’s legs.

Mulgrew went down with a knock and was replaced by Hendrie before the fans then took centre stage again as the 75-minute marked arrived. The ‘Venky’s out’ shants rang around again as plenty headed for the exits.

And again it seemed to knock the Rovers players off their stride as Edwards grabbed the equaliser.

Teixeira’s shot was saved by Steele, but when the ball was returned into the box Edwards was on hand to head home for six yards out.

Big money summer signing Ivan Cavaleiro stung Steele’s handed with a vicious shot as Wolves threatened to dominate the final stages.

But Rovers dug in Conway got a shot on target after cutting in from the left, before Hendrie fired wide of the far post.

Gallagher had a chance right at the death to pinch it when he got on the end of Anthony Stokes’ cross but could only jab it over the bar.

Matt Doherty fired a late effort just wide for Wolves as Rovers had to settle for a point.