COLNE went out of the FA Vase in a dramatic eight goal thriller against Newton Aycliffe at the XLCR Stadium.

The North West Counties League Premier Division leaders were hoping to edge a step closer to Wembley in a competition they reached the semi-finals of just over a decade ago, with predecessors Colne Dynamoes winning the trophy in 1988/89.


But instead it was the visitors from the North East who are now dreaming of a cup run and day out underneath the Wembley arch, while Steve Cunningham’s side can turn their attentions back to a league campaign.

The visitors took the lead after 11 minutes when Stuart Banks was tripped in the Colne area and Dennis Knight fired home the resulting penalty.

The Reds came back strongly and had a great chance to level the scores after 36 minutes when they were awarded a penalty for a hand ball in the Newton area but visitors’ keeper James Winter made a great save to turn Danny Boyle’s spot kick round the post and deny them a goal.

Just before the half time whistle, a lapse in the Reds defence gave Knight the opportunity for a run at the Colne goal and he slipped the ball past the advancing Chris Thompson to double Aycliffe’s lead.

Colne pressed forward in the second half and deservedly pulled a goal back on the hour when Boyle fired home a shot on the turn from just inside the area.

But the Reds were stunned when Newton scored again in their next attack when Banks found the net with a diagonal shot just inside the far post to restore the visitors two goal cushion at 3-1.

Colne continued to push forward and won another penalty after 76 minutes for a hand ball incident allowing Jason Hart to fire home the spot kick to bring them within one goal of the visitors at 3-2.

The Reds levelled the scores at 3-3 on 82 minutes when Chris Anderson headed home a long free kick at the far post but despite continued pressure, they could not find a winner and the game went to extra time.

Two minutes into the added period, Aycliffe again took the lead with a disputed penalty which Knight again fired home from the spot.

Colne threw everything at the visitors’ goal in an effort to find another equaliser, but Newton made the game safe five minutes from the end when Alan Harrison found the top corner of the net with a chip from outside the area to send his side through to the next round.

It is knockout action again for the Reds next week with a trip to Squires Gate in the third round of the Men United Cup.

Bootle are now level on points with Colne at the top of the league after a win on Saturday, but Cunningham’s side have six games in hand on the Merseysiders, and they are next in league action a week today when they travel to Atherton Collieries.