LANCASTER City were relieved to make progress in this season’s FA Cup competition but only after a real tussle with Padiham at the Arbories Memorial Sports Ground YESSS Electrical Arena.

It was a cup tie without many goalscoring opportunities with one of the few openings in the first half falling to Lancaster’s Ryan Winder, whose angled shot was tipped on to the home side’s crossbar by Sean Davis.


Padiham’s Curtis Haley shot over from close range after good work by Josh Walne on 23 minutes and at half-time it was no surprise the game was goalless.

After the break the pattern of play continued to lack goalmouth incidents, but the deadlock was broken on 68 minutes when a shot from Lancaster substitute Joe Whittington took a massive deflection to beat Davis and put the visitors ahead.

And City made sure of a tie in the second qualifying round when Winder converted a penalty to make it 2-0.

It was a cruel blow for the Storks, who were bidding to reach the second qualifying round for the first time in their history, and they had put up a valiant performance against their Evo-Stik League First Division North opponents.

In fact it was a disappointing weekend for all East Lancashire sides involved in the FA Cup as Colne, Clitheroe and Ramsbottom United also crashed out.

Colne were beaten for the first time this season as they went down 3-1 at Consett AFC in County Durham.

Steve Cunningham’s swashbuckling side struggled to reach the heights they have set for themselves this season on an artificial pitch in the North East.

Michael Sweet’s speculative effort from the left wing put the Steelmen 1-0 up on 11 minutes, and the advantage was doubled barely two minutes later when Dan Hawkins fired home from 12 yards after confusion in the Reds defence.

Spencer Jordan twice tested Peter Jeffries as Colne looked for a way back into the game but the game was put to bed on the hour mark when Sweet headed home a left wing cross.

The Reds managed a consolation goal two minutes time from when Alex Coleman’s clearance put Jordan away on goal and he made no mistake with a confident finish.

Ramsbottom United saw their cup run come to an end in Derbyshire as Buxton ran out 2-1 winners.

Liam Hardy’s third minute penalty put the hosts ahead before Lee Gaskell levelled for Rammy after 20 minutes.

But Jon Robinson’s side have taken just one point from eight league games this season and they were always up against it at Buxton, who sit third in the same league, and the home side secured progress through Bradley Barraclough on 57 minutes.

Clitheroe were also unable to cause an upset, losing 2-0 to Evo-Stik League Premier Division outfit Marine.

Carl Peers opened the scoring on the half hour with a shot from the edge of the box.

Louis Mayers and Gregg Anderson both sent headers wide, while Callum Hendry was denied by a last-ditch block.

The Blues could have been level just before the break, but Michael Hampson’s goal was ruled out for offside.

Clitheroe goalkeeper Callum Jakovlevs was busy in the second half, saving from Lloyd Ellams and Chad Whyte, and then from the spot after James Walker had given away a penalty.

But as the Blues pushed for an equaliser they were caught on the break and Karl Clair sealed victory for the Merseysiders in injury time with a breakaway goal.