MICHAEL Hunt admitted the only thing missing from his Harold Ryden Trophy victory on Wednesday night was his son Freddie.

Pleasington’s Hunt saw off a spirited fightback from Blackburn’’s Anthony Harwood to claim a 1up win on the 18th green at his home course and secure a second title 14 years after his first.


And the 37-year-old, who celebrated his birthday last week, was delighted with the victory.

He said: “I was just trying to win it for my little lad.

“I would have loved for him to be here today but it was a little bit late with it not finishing until half nine.

“He is only five, little Freddie, and I want to try and leave him with some memories of my golf so he can say look what my dad won and hopefully be proud. He is starting to play a little bit now as well.

“I am not going to force him to take up golf but it would be nice if he did.”

Hunt looked home and dry in Wednesday’s final as he went four up with five to play before holding a three shot lead playing the 16th.

But Harwood was not finished and a dramatic hole in one from the Blackburn man kept his hopes alive heading down the 17th.

Harwood then holed a birdie putt after Hunt had missed a chance of his own to take it down the last, where the Pleasington man held his nerve.

Hunt added of Harwood’s comeback: “I didn’t see it coming.

“To have a hole in one was amazing and hopefully we have contributed to a great final.”

Hunt, who claimed the Harold Ryden title in 2001, also paid tribute to his new coach Damien Taylor – son of former snooker World Champion Dennis – for his role in the win.

Hunt added: “I went to him two weeks ago because I was suffering with my game.

“He’s made a few tweaks to my game and I have seen the benefits.

“I just wanted to get into the top eight of qualifying and I managed to do that and I think I have been getting better each night.

“I was five under through the first 13 holes and then I three-putted the 14th which was the only downside really of the round.

“It’s great to have won it though.”

  • In Thursday’s Lancashire Telegraph Anthony Harwood was incorrectly called Mark Ashworth in an article about the Harold Ryden Trophy. The Lancashire Telegraph would like to apologise for the error.