Bacup and Rossendale 3 Winsford United 2

BACUP and Rossendale Borough are still alive and kicking after a spirited 3-2 victory over Cheshire based Winsford United.

Yves Zama was the hero of the hour for Borough, netting a crucial double including the winner eight minutes from time.


Victory means Brent Peters side still have a chance of avoiding the drop - while Barnoldswick Town’s 1-0 defeat at Runcorn Town means they are not yet safe.

Bacup started the match the brighter of the two sides and Michael Gervin was denied by the Winsford keeper after good work by Dominic Marie and Zama.

But Borough broke the deadline in the 32nd minute when Gervin fired in a brilliant cross from the right wing which landed right on the head of Marie who guided the ball perfectly into the top corner.

After the break, Bacup spurned a fantastic chance to double their lead when a long kick from goalkeeper Josh Harris bounced over the Blues’ defence which Zama raced on to but his tae effort was saved.

And Bacup were made to pay as Winsford grabbed an equaliser when Brian Matthews flicked his effort over Harris.

But Bacup kept battling and in the 70th minute they regained their lead when Zama got the goal he deserved.

It may not have been the prettiest of goals but they all count. Kuba-Kuba fired a shot at goal which bobbled around the six-yard box and fell out to Matty Maine at the back post who couldn’t get the ball over the line - however it fell to Zama who leathered it into the bottom left corner.

This lead however did not last long at all as Winsford poked back level again and it was Matthews netting his second of the match. A deep cross to the back post was flicked in by Brian Matthews in the 73rd minute.

With Bacup pushing hard for the winner, they got their just reward with just eight minutes remaining and it was certainly deserved.

Zama, who had an impressive game in midweek was performing even better against United, picked the ball up on the far side and he shifted throught he gears as he powered past three blue shirts and side footed the ball under the despairing O’Keefe to put the Borough in front once more.

The home side had one final chance to rubber stamp the win as the visitors’ goalkeeper came charging out to clear the ball.

However he could only clear to Kuba-Kuba, who went for goal from 45 yards but was unable to hit the target.