RAMSBOTTOM United ended a four-month winless streak in the Evo-Stik Premier Division, and showed tremendous character in coming back from behind to secure three points in the first of two games with Stourbridge in the space of five days.

The Rams defence failed to close down Reece Hales, who left goalkeeper Grant Shenton with no chance of stopping a well-judged chip into the far corner.


But that was more or less the last time that the defence, bolstered by the return of Mark Ayres, showed any sign of weakness or indecision as Stourbridge were restricted to shots from distance.

At the other end, Ramsbottom boss Jon Robinsons had introduced the powerful presence of new 6ft-plus striker Vinny Mukendi, who fired in a 25th minute equaliser after being set up by Donal McDermott, who got his second assist two minutes later.

Osebi Abadaki got to the byeline and his low cross found McDermott at the far post. Feigning to shoot, he instead fed the ball to Jamie Rother and his shot rattled in off the underside of the bar.

Mukendi might have put the game to bed with half an hour to go, but after charging down a clearance he fired straight at the keeper.

It made for a nervy finish, but the Rams defended resolutely to secure a much-needed win.

Meanwhile, in the North West Counties Premier Division, Bacup and Rossendale Borough were held to a 0-0 draw at Winsford on Tuesday night.

Dominic Marie, who captained Boro on his birthday, came the closest to scoring in a quiet first half.

There was more goalmouth activity in the second half.

After a quick counter, Gervin’s shot was deflected into the path of Daniel Holt, whose shot flew straight into the keeper’s arms.

He later dragged a chance just wide after effortlessly turning his man.

Bacup had penalty appeals for a challenge on Matty Bryan turned down as the game entered the last 15 minutes.

Josh Harris then showed why he had been crowned February’s goalkeeper of the month with a superb save to secure the point.

Elsewhere Colne recorded their seventh straight league win with a 3-0 home victory over Silsden.

Danny Boyle netted a brace with Joe Garvin also on target.

Clitheroe were beaten 4-2 in the Evo-Stik League Division One North by Warrington Town.

David Lynch and Sefton Gonzalez were on target for the Blues.