PADIHAM remain firmly in relegation trouble in Evo-Stik League Division One North after a 5-1 defeat away at Salford City.

A poor first half cost the Storks who found themselves four down after just 31 minutes.

Brett Ormerod did pull one back for the visitors on the stroke of half time but Salford added a fifth in the second period and also missed a penalty.

Martyn Andrews put the home side in front after just seven minutes and Sam Madeley made it two on the quarter hour.

Two goals in two minutes from Matthew Chadwick and former Padiham striker Gareth Seddon put the result beyond doubt before Ormerod gave the travelling supporters something to cheer when he struck in first half stoppage time.

The Storks performance was much improved after the break and Scott Byron hit a post while Bobby Langford, signed from Darwen last week, went close late on.

But James Kirby struck for Salford in the 77th minute and the home side also missed a penalty when Sean Davis saved Madeley’s effort.

Despite the defeat it was a much-improved display from Padiham who displayed plenty of spirit against a side run by five of Manchester United’s Class of 92.

The Storks, who lost Ashley Young and Ross Lloyd to injury, host Lancaster City on Saturday.

Elsewhere, Clitheroe’s clash with Farsley was called off.

Barnoldswick Town were the only side to beat the weather in the North West Counties League but they couldn’t take three points from their trip to Congleton Town.

Barlick took an early lead when Mark Threlfall struck after just 16 minutes.

But the hosts wasted little time and John-Paul Hudson levelled just seven minutes later.

Liam Crelin-Myers put Congleton in front three minutes after the break before Nathan Haynes sealed the points late on.

The cold weather meant Barlick’s fixture was one of just three in the Premier Division to take place.

Colne, who host 1874 Nortwhich in the MEN Cup third round tomorrow night, saw their game away at Abbey Hey called off while Nelson’s home clash with Alsager Town also fell victim to the weather.

Bacup & Rossendale Borough were left kicking their heels after their trip to Silsden was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

In Division One, AFC Darwen’s home match with Chadderton was also called off.