TEN-MAN Padiham remain rooted to the foot of Evo-Stik League First Division North after losing 3-0 at home to Scarborough Athletic.

Defeat leaves Steve Wilkes’ side with just nine points from 20 games at the bottom of the pile.


However, it needed a mistake by Storks’ defender Dean Overson to gift the visitors — formed in 2007 following the demise of the North Yorkshire seaside town’s ex-Football League club — an 18th-minute lead after what was an even start to the game.

The error led to a cross being headed in by Alex Peterson — and 13 minutes later, Athletic doubled their advantage when James Beadle headed in a corner to make it 2-0 at half-time.

After the break, Padiham had the visitors on the back foot. But bad injuries to Louis Mayers and Martin Parkes plus the sending-off of Ben Allen as good as ended Padiham’s fightback. And on 89 minutes, Ryan Blott scored Athletic’s third of the afternoon.

The result was a seventh straight defeat in all competitions for the Storks. Wilkes and his players will be glad to see the back of November, Padiham having lost all six games they played in the month.

Allen will be eligible for Padiham’s trip to Prescot Cables next weekend but his suspension will then kick in. The length of his ban has yet to be confirmed.

Parkes has suffered a dislocated shoulder and Mayers has a repeat of the ankle injury which kept him out since September.

Clitheroe lost at home in the league for the first time since August, following a second-half winner from Mossley’s Andy Keogh.

The visitors had the best chance of the first half on 23 minutes, when Clitheroe keeper Andrew Dawber was forced to make a fine save from Luke McGonagle’s curling free-kick. An appeal for a penalty was turned down on 30 minutes after Clitheroe’s Richard Burns seemed to be pushed over in the box.

The only goal of the game came on 50 minutes, when Keogh was left unmarked to head home.

Clitheroe pushed for an equaliser during the second half but were unable to breach the strong Mossley defensive line.

Mossley almost scored a second goal on 71 minutes when Fish broke clear and slid the ball past Dawber, only for Roberto Bonaminio to clear off the line.

Clitheroe are without a game next weekend as their scheduled opponents Warrington Town are in action in the FA Cup second round.

Defeat by Mossley leaves Simon Garner’s side 13th in the table.

They have failed to win in four matches.