RESIDENTS were evacuated from a care home after a fire broke out in a bedroom yesterday.

Fire crews said the fire was started accidentally by someone smoking in bed at Heightside House Nursing Home, in Newchurch Road, Rawtenstall, just before 9am.

All 31 residents were evacuated safely by staff as fire crews from Rawtenstall Fire Station put the fire out.

Severe fire and heat damage was caused to the bedroom and extensive smoke damage was caused to the remainder of the ground-floor.

Watch manager Shaun Naughton praised staff at the care home for their prompt response.

He said: “They have an excellent alarm system and fully trained members of staff, whose response was just right.

“The residents were all evacuated by staff when we arrived but the fire was well alight. We tackled the fire using breathing apparatus and in 20 minutes it was under control.”

Heightside manager Josh Adams said just one bedroom was damaged: “My staff were fantastic and it was great to see their training pay off.

“The fire service were also superb.”