THREE people suffered smoke inhalation when a faulty dishwasher in a kitchen caught fire.

Fire crews were called to Tonacliffe Way, Whitworth, at around 1am yesterday.

A neighbour had gone round to the house to check on the couple who live there, who are in their 50s.

All three were taken to Fairfield Hospital, Bury, after breathing in smoke.

Three fire crews attended the incident, gaining entrance to the smoke-filled property.

Crew manager Andy Jones managed to climb in through a 12-inch wide window on the ground floor and unlocked the front door.

He said: “The door had been locked after the residents came outside and we couldn’t get in. Luckily a window had been left open a bit.”

The blaze badly damaged the kitchen after the dishwasher, which had been left on overnight, caught fire.

Crew manager Jones said: “Any appliance which can be switched off overnight should be.

To have a free smoke alarm fitted, call the fire service on 0800 1691125.