A soldier is set to return to the army almost 12 months after losing both his legs serving on the front line in Afghanistan.

Gregg Stevenson, 24, has spent the last six months learning to walk again using new prosthetic legs after he stepped on hidden explosives.

In February he will head to Devon to team up with his comrades in the 24 Commando Engineer Regiment.

And he said he is still determined to return to Afghanistan in eight months.

The green beret army commando, of Foulridge, was sweeping for mines on the front line in Helmand Province when he was injured in March last year.

It was feared he would not recover but he has battled his way back to fitness and had intense physiotherapy at Headley Court Rehab Centre, Surrey.

He said: “Everything has been going really well. I am where I wanted to be in my recovery and the doctors are really pleased with my progress.

“I am going back to work in February and we will be based in the UK for now. My colleagues who I was serving with while injured are going on a tour again in about eight months, and I would love to join them, that is my target.

“We will have to see how things go but hopefully from February I will continue to improve and do enough to return.”

The former Colne Park High School pupil has started playing golf again since his injury and is aiming to up his work rate in the new year.

“I’ve started playing a lot of golf now which is good for my fitness and I’ll continue to do this.

“There have been no real problems with how my fitness is looking. I am in constant touch with the army and they are really pleased with my progress.”

Gregg, who worked for two years for an Accrington charity, was just two weeks from the end of a six-month stint when he was caught by the blast.

It was his first tour duty in Afghanistan during his three years in the army.

Earlier this year he was invited to Windsor Castle and met the Queen, and also met England rugby stars at an awards ceremony.

He finished in Surrey for Christmas in December and has been back at home in Foulridge since December 20 seeing friends and family.

“It has been great to see my family and all my friends again and to catch up with them and show them the progress I’ve made,” he said.

“But I am really looking forward to getting back to work as well and getting back to my usual duties. It is what I have been working towards.”