FIREFIGHTERS were alerted to a rubbish fire in a lay-by at Cliviger by a passing motorist.

Burnley firefighters were called to the lay-by in Bacup Road, Cliviger, near to Ford Quarry after a passer-by alerted them to the blaze AT AROUND 6.45am yesterday (Friday).

Watch manager Neil Ashworth said; “It was a small quantity of rubbish on fire.

“The call came from someone passing by the station.”

One engine attended and used a hose reel to extinguish the flames, which crews believe could have been caused by a discarded cigarette.