TWO brothers who threw a glass and a bottle at a barman after he asked them to leave and then punched him in the face have been spared jail.

Preston Crown Court was shown shocking CCTV footage of the attack carried out by Jason Murray and Anthony Paul Robert Murray at the former Molloy’s pub in Blackburn.

The court heard that victim Mathew Earnshaw had to have extensive dental surgery after having one tooth chipped and another two knocked out of line.

The court heard that both defendants had only recently been released from prison for offences of affray - Jason’s crime being against his own mother.

Prosecuting, Martineh Jabari said both men entered the venue in King William Street at around 8pm on October 9, 2016, and were drinking at the bar, which has since been taken over by new owners and changed its name to The Squire, and talking to customers.

But by around 10pm they had become drunk and aggressive and Mr Earnshaw, who was working behind the bar on the night, asked them to leave.

It was at that point one of the brothers threw a glass at Mr Earnshaw. Mr Earnshaw was then knocked to the ground and both brothers kicked and punched him in the head.

CCTV footage shows customers coming to the barman’s aid and pushing the defendants out of the bar. But the Murrays forced their way back into the premises on several times and had to be pushed out.

Following the attack Mr Earnshaw went to Royal Blackburn Hospital where he was found to have a cut lip, a cut above the eye, a cut inside his ear, several cuts to his cheek and damage to his teeth.

Jason Murray, 23, of Dickinson Close, Blackburn, and Anthony Paul Robert Murray, 27, of Church Street, Preston, both pleaded guilty to assault occasioning actual bodily harm and using or threatening unlawful violence.

Defending Anthony Murray, Jack Troup said his client was attempting to turn his life around and was hoping to start a college course in September studying English, maths and sport.

Defending Jason Murray, Neil Howard said there was no blame on the complainant’s part and his client had distanced himself from any suggestion he was trying to defend his brother.

Mr Howard said: “There is a degree of remorse in respect of Mr Murray.

Judge Heather Lloyd said the brothers had come as close as they could get to going to prison immediately but she had been convinced to suspend the sentence.

Jason Murray was sentenced to 16 months’ prison, suspended for two years, and must complete 40 rehabilitation activity requirement days. He must also pay Mr Earnshaw £500 within 56 days.

Anthony Murray was sentenced to 14 months’ prison, suspended for two years, and must complete 25 rehabilitation activity requirement days.

Both were banned from entering the bar formerly known as Molloy’s or loitering outside for two years.