AN APPRENTICE heating engineer and plumber has spoken of his anger after being left with a fractured skull in a suspected one-punch attack outside a bar.

Alan Lee Turner, 22, who is from Blackburn, said he had just left Macs Bar in Burnley when he was knocked unconscious after being punched from behind.

Mr Turner said all he remembers is leaving the bar in Hammerton Street around 4.30am on Sunday and then waking up in Royal Blackburn Hospital.

Detectives issued a witness appeal following the incident, which they said involved a group of men and spilled onto Hargreaves Street near to the site of the old post office.

A 20-year-old man from Waterfoot has been arrested on suspicion of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm in connection with the incident. He remains in police custody.

Mr Turner said: “I walked out of the club as it was closing and went to speak to my friend.

“I was hit from behind and was immediately knocked unconscious. I woke up in a hospital to be told I’ve had my skull fractured with bleeding from the ear cavity.

“My father is 66-years-old and he’s worried and panicking over me being in hospital. My sister works in hospital and has been to visit to me. She’s upset and worried too.

“I seriously hate the fact people punch other people for no reason and from behind. They are the worst kind of human beings around. Knowing they can hit someone from behind and take their life away is really shocking,”

Mr Turner was undergoing tests yesterday to establish if he has suffered any permanent mobility or hearing damage.

Detective Sergeant Melissa Kelly said: “We know that there were lots of people out and about after leaving bars and clubs and so hopefully someone will have witnessed this group and the assault.

“If you think you have seen something that could help us with our investigation, please contact us as soon as possible.”

Anyone with information is asked to call 01254 353889 or if they fail to get an answer, 101, quoting incident reference 269 of November 12.