TWO men had to jump from an upstairs window to escape a blazing house after a firework was posted through the letterbox last night.

Firefighters said the ‘rocket-type’ firework started the blaze, which had left the house in Shakespeare Way, Blackburn, ‘gutted’.

By the time the crew arrived at the mid-terrace property, in Bank Top, at around 10pm, the men, thought to be aged between 18 and 20-years-old, had managed to get out safely.

But their dog, a Staffordshire bull terrier, was suffering from smoke inhalation and had to be given first aid by one of the crew members.