TYLDESLEY RU gave champions Rochdale a tough time before going down 20-7.

The Well Street side went at it full speed, surging clear when Dave Sivill scored out wide before adding the goal.

But Rochdale hit back in style, leaving Tyldesley to pick up the scraps.

A week earlier Tyldesley beat Wallasey 19-8 with MoM Howard Hughes in explosive form, grabbing two terrific tries. Then some slick passing found winger Fraser MacIntosh racing in at the corner.

Tyldesley then lost the plot in the second half and failed to turn pressure into points, allowing the visitors to reply.

The Seconds game was called off at the last minute, but the Thirds put up a spirited fight at Manchester, with Chris Aldred grabbing the only try for Tyldesley. Both Peter Smyth and Mike Howell worked hard.

On Saturday, in their final game of the season, Tyldesley travel to Ormskirk.

LEIGH RU lost 45-14 against Orrell but won 13-6 at Northwich with Higson grabbing the crucial try in the final moments. Earlier he landed two penalties and added the conversion.

Tofts should have rattled up 50 points against Ruskin Park, but they had to make do with a try from prop Barnes in a 5-0 win. MoM was Vickers.

Tofts then won 10-8 at Lymm, winger Dickenson grabbing the crucial touchdown.

Minis & Midis: In the Broughton Park U9s competition Leigh lost 10-5 to Bolton and 30-0 to Vale of Lune, but drew 10-10 with De La Salle. Tries from Andrews, Adams and Hammond.

ATHERTON RU were far too good for Old Aldwinians, winning 67-5 with tries from Ben Sutton 3, Jonathan Sutton 2, Joe Dillon 2, Dave Henshaw 2, David Wyche and Andrew James. Martin Hilton hit eight goals.

Minis & Midis played in a tournament at Colne & Nelson, which also involved Calder Vale.

The U8s won both matches with tries from Scott Fazackerley 2, Darren Robinson 3, Liam Costello 5 and Cory Duddle 3.

Jimmy Banks was great in support while Jacon Sykes tackled his heart out.

Wins, too, for the U10s with tries by James Harrison 3, Lewis Sproston, Danny Sankey 3, Cory Duddle 4, Richard Newsham 5 and a hat-trick from Carl Hughes.

Converted for the new archive on 14 July 2000. Some images and formatting may have been lost in the conversion.