A TWO-YEAR-OLD girl has died after falling into an outdoor swimming pool at the home of Blackburn's World Superbike motorcycle champion Carl Fogarty.

Hannah Walsh, who lived with her parents in one of the houses at the Clayton Hey Farm complex, off Ribchester Road, Clayton-le-Dale, was pronounced dead at Blackburn Royal Infirmary on Friday.

She was discovered by her mother Louise Walsh in a covered outdoor swimming pool at Mr Fogarty's home, in Saccary Lane, Mellor, at 4.40pm.

Her mother, who runs Southworth's dentists practice in Richmond Terrace, Blackburn, immediately began mouth-to-mouth resuscitation on the child while Mr Fogarty's wife Michaela telephoned an ambulance.

Paramedics arrived on the scene within minutes and continued trying to revive her throughout the journey to hospital.

Mrs Walsh, who is married to company director Graham Walsh, was visiting Mrs Fogarty at the time, although the three times World Superbike champion was not at home.

Mr Fogarty said: "Whatever is said is not going to change what happened.

"It was just a tragic accident. There is nothing you can say or do that's going to make it any better and given time hopefully things can settle down. "It was nobody's fault and we just feel really sorry for Louise and Graham. Louise is a fantastic parent.

"Kids have accidents all the time and usually its just a cut or a bump on the head. Sometimes, as in this case, they are tragic.

"You cannot watch over children 24 hours a day. There are no parents on the planet who can do that, otherwise they will be walking round with a ball and chain.

"It appears that one minute Hannah was watching a video in the playroom then she wandered outside.

"Michaela and Louise were just 20-feet away making the tea."

Detective Superintendent Paul Buschini, of Lancashire Police, said: "Police in Blackburn are investigating how a baby died after falling into a swimming pool in Mellor. The two-year-old girl is believed to have drowned after accidentally tumbling in to the pool in a private garden.

"A post mortem examination will be carried out to establish the exact cause of death, but there are not believed to be any suspicious circumstances. The infant had been visiting family friends at the time."

An inquest into the death was opened and adjourned by Blackburn, Hyndburn and Ribble Valley coroner Andre Rebello today.

A post mortem examination will be carried out by paediatric pathologist Dr Melane Newbold and forensic pathologist Dr William Lawlor today.

Converted for the new archive on 14 July 2000. Some images and formatting may have been lost in the conversion.