BAMBER BRIDGE made history with a thrilling 4-3 win over Lancaster City that sent the club into the first round of the FA Cup for the first time.

The rollercoaster ride of a match almost proved too much for Brig boss Tony Greenwood who saw the match go down to the last minute of extra time.

And he paid tribute to the fans for giving his players the boost they needed to overcome City.

He said: "I aged about 20 years during the match and went through nearly every emotion I've ever experienced.

"I'm really chuffed. We've had two cracking games and it's a pity that one of the sides had to go.

"It was a massive match for the club. It's the first time we've reached the first round and it's the first time I have as well.

"The crowd got behind us throughout the game which was good to see - let's hope they stick with us. It makes a big difference with the crowd because it gives the players a real lift. "Every one of the players gave a great performance and stuck to the task.

"It was demoralising watching Lancaster equalise but we just kept going and got just reward for it."

Substitute John Turner chested the ball into the net on 120 minutes to win the match after an exciting encounter.

On 19 minutes, Lancaster took the lead as Kenny Mayers headed home; Ian Vickers equalised five minutes later and the rest of the goals came in extra time.

But Turner's last-gasp effort was the final act in a thrilling encounter, sending the Brig faithful and Greenwood wild with delight.

Non-league St Albans City will have home advantage against Brig on the weekend of October 30 and Greenwood is keen to find as much out about them as possible.

He said: "We don't know much about them at the moment, but I will be going to watch them soon. A few of them were here to see us beat City."

Bamber Bridge are also through to the next round of the UniBond League Cup and travel to Spennymoor United on Saturday.

Converted for the new archive on 14 July 2000. Some images and formatting may have been lost in the conversion.