A FLAMING jet of gas and exposed live electricity wires put firefighters in danger as they tackled a blaze started by an early morning arson attack on a house in Burnley Wood.

The house in Morley Street was well alight with flames coming from windows when fire crews arrived at 1.11am yesterday. A fire had been started next to the gas and electricity meter cupboard and had melted fittings.

Leading Firefighter Alan Ashworth said: "Things were banging and popping and there was a flaming gas jet coming out. We had to approach with extreme caution. We couldn't extinguish the gas jet otherwise there would have been a gas cloud and the danger of an explosion."

The gas jet was left burning under the supply was isolated and the gas pipe capped.

The house is in a block of empty properties and has been targeted before by fire-raisers. Other houses on the street are occupied.

Mr Ashworth added: "Not only are the people who start fires like this putting themselves in danger they are definitely putting us in danger as well."

Converted for the new archive on 14 July 2000. Some images and formatting may have been lost in the conversion.