A TOILET was damaged by fire at Chippys Taxis, Railway Road Industrial Estate, Darwen,at 2.30pm on Saturday. There was also slight smoke damage to the office and garage area.

Firefighters believe the fire may have been started deliberately, after children were seen playing with matches nearby.

Lee Gavin, of Chippys, said: "The door is always left open for customers so anyone can walk in off the street. There isn't very much damage apart from the electrics."

Converted for the new archive on 14 July 2000. Some images and formatting may have been lost in the conversion.