Prescot Cables 4 Abbey Hey 1

PRESCOT'S weekend game at Fleetwood was called off 15 minutes before kick-off because of surface water on the pitch, despite representations from both managers. But they finally managed to record their first win of 2001 with this midweek success which featured fine some fine passing football despite the atrocious weather conditions.

O'Callaghan looked sharp and in the opening exchanges a neat give-and-go with Taylor ended with him hitting a 20-yard drive that was just too high. Then Williams in the visitors' goal saved well from Garforth before O'Callaghan finally gave Prescot the lead on 18 minutes, again combining with Taylor and steering the ball home from 15 yards.

The rest of the first half though developed into a midfield battle as Prescot became frustrated by Abbey Hey's offside trap. Garforth's tricked his way through the defence to set up Baker who shot just wide from just outside the box. And he repeated the trick a minute later only for O'Callaghan's chip to strike the bar and rebound into the arms of a grateful Williams.

As the half drew to a close Abbey Hey created a couple of half-chances which ended in shots off-target.

The first action of the second half came when Jensen set up Tommy Baker but his shot from the edge of area was magnificently saved by Williams who pushed the ball around the post. Abbey Hey responded with a 25-yard effort from Radcliffe which Dahl saved. And Radcliffe also went close when he got to a cross in front of a defender but his header was just wide.

Jensen beat Hey's off-side trap but pushed his shot wide as Williams game out to narrow the angle. But Prescot's pressure finally paid off on 56 minutes when Weston fired home a superb volley from 25 yard out to give the home side a two-goal advantage.

And they made it 3-0 a minute later when Weston released Baker down the right to cross for Jensen to steer the ball home from close range.

Abbey Hey tried to get back into it and Dahl had to save from Sam Baker before the visitors grabbed a consolation goal on 82 minutes when Woods got between two defenders to head home.

This only served to sting Prescot into late action and they scored their fourth goal when O'Callaghan played Jensen in to shoot home from 15 yards with five minutes to go.

The home side continued to press forward to the end and Garforth, Jensen, O'Callaghan and new signing all had efforts saved by the impressive Williams.

Prescot are at home to Glossop North End on Saturday, February 17, kick-off 3pm and on Tuesday, February 20 they play hosts to Clitheroe, kick-off 7.45pm.