Bury 3 Swansea City 0, by Steve Canavan A FEW weeks ago the sight of a Bury team scoring three goals in a game was rarer than spotting a Golden Eagle nesting in the Gigg Lane stand.

But, in the space of two home games, the Shakers have managed to achieve the feat twice.

Oxford and Swansea may be the bottom two teams in the division, but you can only beat what's put in front of you and Bury have done it in some style.

Two Paul Reid penalties and a first league goal for young full back Lee Connell extended Bury's unbeaten run to six in a match which wasn't pretty, but ultimately very palatable for the Gigg Lane faithful.

On an awful pitch it was a day for battlers and none were finer than tireless midfielder Martyn Forrest and defender Chris Swailes.

Forrest rarely gets the plaudits but he was everywhere on Saturday, chasing lost causes all afternoon and won not just the 50-50 tackles, but the 30-70 ones too.

As for Swailes, he was magnificent, not even deterred hy an ugly clash of heads early on which saw him end the game in Terry Butcher-style, with his head covered in blood-stained bandages.

Bury throughly deserved victory and were 1-0 up before Swansea were out of the blocks.

Colin Cramb superbly sidestepped two defenders in the area on seven minutes forcing Jason Price to foul him.

A definite penalty which was despatched with some aplomb by Paul Reid low to the keeper's right.

Indeed, at that point the visitors -- looking like a true relegation outfit -- were lucky to have 10 players on the field.

Keeper Jason Jones fouled Newby who was clean through on the right side of the area with Paul Reid free in the middle.

Referee Mark Warren opted for yellow instead of a red card, which was probably the right decision albeit a tad fortunate for the Swansea keeper.

After the barnstorming start the pace predictably dropped and it was the visitors who had a few half chances to level, the best effort a Damian Lacey half volley which flew inches wide.

After a scrappy start to the second half Bury doubled their advantage with a controversial penalty on 64 minutes.

There was no doubt about the penalty being awarded, Cramb again fouled by Swansea stopper Jones as he was about to plant the ball in the net.

There was no doubt too that the visitors' number one had to walk for a seecond bookable offence.

On came substitute keeper 18-year-old debutant Alex Davies with the chance to make himself the hero by saving Reid's spot kick.

He did but the referee, after consulting his linesman, ordered a retake saying Davies had been too far off his line.

After being surrounded by a crowd of angry Swans players Reid duly made up for his first attempt by scoring.

With that, the visitors' chances of salvaging anything disappeared and Bury began to turn on the style.

Cramb and Newby both came close to scoring before sub Lee Connell sealed an excellent day's work late on by clipping a deflected shot past the unfortunate Davies from a tight angle.

Chris Armstrong almost celebrated his new contract with a goal and Lutel James missed an injury time one on one chance but it didn't bother delighted boss Andy Preece too much.

His message after the game was bring on league leaders Millwall. They visit Gigg on Tuesday and the Shakers can't wait.

BURY: Kenny 7, Billy 7, Armstrong 7, C SWAILES 9, Collins 7, Redmond 7, Daws 7, Reid 8, Forrest 9, Newby 7, Cramb 8. Subs: Connell (for Billy 74), James (for Cramb 81), Barnes (for Newby 86), Hill, Preece. ATT: 3,443.