TWO elderly women have been discharged from hospital following a rescue from their smoke-filled bedrooms in a residential home.

Ninety-year-old Nellie Counsell and 85-year-old Alice Dean were back at Woodlands House Residential Home in Over Hulton after being treated for smoke inhalation at the Royal Bolton Hospital following the fire in the early hours of Thursday.

The pair had been lifted from their beds and carried to safety by firefighters during the blaze.

Staff had evacuated some of the 30 elderly residents from their bedrooms when the fire broke out in a faulty fan extractor in a bathroom.

A spokesman said the two women, who were discharged from hospital on Saturday, were now fine and were in temporary rooms until the two damaged bedrooms were refurbished.