CLITHEROE Wolves proved to be the perfect hosts as they won three and came runners-up in two finals in their own Soccer Sixes tournament.

Wolves triumphed in the under 10s, 11s and 13s and were beaten finalists in the under nines and the girls under 12s competitions.

In what turned out to be a record breaking tournament, the Ribble Valley side only failed to contest three finals as they dominated the second Soccer Sixes event which attracted an astonishing 116 teams with over 1,000 boys and girls taking part in the two day event at Roefield Playing Fields.

The event over the two days was watched by 1,800 spectators.

Clitheroe Wolves under 13s were involved in a real thriller with Knuzden Juniors in the final.

The match went to a sudden death penalty shoot-out and it was Philip North, voted Wolves player of the tournament, who scored the winning spot kick.

But while the under 13s enjoys the highs of the penalty shoot-out, the under eights and under girls under 12s who suffered the lows.

The under eights, playing in their first tournament, suffered the heartache of going out in the semi finals. But they should feel proud of their achievements and Joe Swierczynski was named Wolves top player.

The girls went one better and reached the final but they too lost on sudden death penalties against Blue Star. Keeper Brogan Cook performed heroics throughout the tournament which rightly earned her the top player award.

The competition attracted teams from across East Lancashire and nearly every area had a team represented in one of the eight finals.

In the under eights final, Fulledge Colts beat Readstone. Wolves reached their first final of the weekend in the under nines but had to settle for second place as Ossy Juniors ran out winners.

Dene Maylor and John Willets were named Wolves players of the tournament for their performances over the day.

Byron Hayton proved to be Clitheroe Wolves under 10s most valuable player as the host side got their hands on their first piece of silverware.

Hayton was a key member of the side who qualified from the league group and reached the final where they beat Accrington side St Josephs.

Their second trophy followed when Wolves won the under 11s event -- the last held on Saturday.

Rishton United were runners-up and Francesco Leoni was named Wolves top player.

Impressive side Cadley Boys from Preston entered a team for the first time and went on and won the under 12s final by beating Borrowdale United.

And there was first when Wolves held a girls competition which attracted a full quota of 16 teams.

In the final age group of the tournament, Ribble Valley Wanders beat Rishton United in the under 14s.

The competition was voted a huge success by the organisers although it was tinged with sadness when Readstone United under 12s player Mark Campbell was taken to hospital with a suspected broken ankle. Wolves official Ian Rushton said: "The club and all the boys and girls involved in the event wish Mark and full and speedy recovery. It was a marvellous weekend and there was some excellent football played." The club would like to thank the match referees and St John's Ambulance for their help.