THERE will be a new name on the Star Individual Darts Championship trophy after holder Steve Jones was knocked out by Doug Smith in a thrilling second round tie. Jones came into the contest in no mood to loosen his grip on the cup, but the draw paired him with a fellow high ranking marksman.

Throwing first Jones hit a pair of tons but miscalculated on the double to allow Smith, who had hit three 100s, to take the first leg in 17 darts.

Smith, with his slow throwing action, notched a pair of 140s, on his way to clinching the second leg and the match.

Smith then saw off a robust challenge from Chris Martin in the third round to book his place for the finals night.

After going one leg down, Martin hit a pair of 140s and a 125 on his way to taking the second leg in 15 darts.

The intensity of the competition was cranked up in the final leg when Martin again hit two 140s, but Smith raised his game with a ton and a 180 on his way to victory.

One of the unluckiest players of the day was Mick Tully who hit a 180 then came within a whisker of checking out on 140 on 15 darts in his first leg tie with Mick Hallwood.

With just 14 left to polish off, Tully's near miss played on his mind and failed to finish in the subsequent six visits to the board, allowing Hallwood to steal it.

Tully levelled the game, with some steady darts and a 140, but Hallwood threw well to take the final leg.

Hallwood's progress was halted by a 2-0 defeat by Steve Comber, who took the second leg in 17 darts after hitting a ton and a pair of 140s.

Comber had earlier come from one down to see off Mike Frodsham in round two.

Gary 'Capper' Welding progressed to the finals night, but he found a tough second round opponent in Ian Hunter.

Hunter hit a pair of 140s, but with 120 left on the board he unfortunately threw two treble 20s to take him over. He followed up with another ton, but Capper swept in to take the first leg in 16 darts.

Despite throwing some steady arrows, which included a ton and a 140, Hunter could not quite find the killer touch on the doubles. Capper showed no mercy and continued his streak in third round win over Shaun Pilling.

Welding hit a 180 on his way to a first leg win, and despite three consecutive tons from Pilling in the second leg, he did enough to rattle off the win in 18 darts.

Eddie Dootson was within a whisker of taking a third round 2-0 win over Peter Turton. After winning the first leg, Dootson just missed out on the clinching double to let Turton in. Turton then clinched a keenly fought final leg to take the match.

Rounds 2 and 3, Part 2, Sunday, July 1, 2pm: Carl Fenney, Antony Dingsdale, Michael Anders, Ali Thompson, George McCormick, Peter Phillips, Ronnie Singleton, Ken Harris, Dave Houghton, Andrew Rodger, Ian Paul Hunter, Colin Young, Mike Spratt, Paul Pennington, Michael Holt, Alan Waite. Draw will be made at 1.30pm at Chapel End Labour Club, Billinge.

Thanks to the sponsorship of Tetley's, Thwaites and John Smiths, plus the entrants' fees, prize money for this year's finals night on July 15 totals £1,000 - £500 for the winner, £250 for the runner up, £75 for defeated semi finalists and £25 to the beaten quarter finalists.

2nd round, part one - Sunday, June 24, results:

Peter Turton 2 Bob Arnold 0, Eddie Dootson 2 B. Hesford 0, Steve Comber 2 Mike Frodsham 1, Mick Hallwood 2 Michael Tully 1, Gary Welding 2 Ian Hunter 0, Alf Dutton 0 Shaun Pilling 2, Brian Sinkinson 1 Chris Martin 2, Doug Smith 2 Steve Jones 0.

3rd round: Peter Turton 2 Eddie Dootson 1, Steve Comber 2 Mick Hallwood 0, Gary Welding 2 Shaun Pilling 0, Chris Martin 1 Doug Smith 2.

The four winners go through to finals night on July 15, where they will be joined by this weekend's winners.