A FATHER today spoke out over the neglect which contributed to his son's suicide in Preston Prison.

The move came after an inquest jury decided that there was a system defect at the jail when Andrew McKee, 32, from Clayton-le-Moors, hanged himself in February.

They found there had been a lack of formal mental health assessment, inadequate monitoring procedures and follow up plus a lack of communication between multi-disciplinary teams and said they had contributed to the death.

After the hearing, in Preston, the dead man's father, Andrew McKee, of Adelaide Street, Clayton-le-Moors, said the family had been concerned the prison system was letting people down.

He added: "We were concerned about every prison, not just Preston. We are delighted with the result of the inquest and hopefully it will prevent similar things happening to another young man in the future and stop another family facing the trauma we have."

Dr Marek Zotkiewicz, who investigated Preston for the prison service, recommended an urgent review of the mental health services provided. He also stated there should be a review of primary care services, to identify health need and management structures.

A spokesman for the Prison Reform Trust said HMP Preston was one of the most overcrowded jails in the country and that there was still a risk that what happened to Mr McKee could happen elsewhere.

Today the Home Office said it had already drawn up an action plan to address the concerns raised. A spokesman added: "The Prison Service noted the findings of the court and will continue to monitor its policy and procedures to ensure the best possible outcome for all prisoners.

"Subsequent to an internal investigation an action plan was formulated to address the concerns raised and most have been addressed since Mr McKee's death. Our sympathies are with the family of Mr McKee."

McKee, jailed for burglary at Burnley Crown Court late last year, was sharing a cell with his brother James . He was found on the floor, with a sheet tied very tightly around his neck and fixed to the end of the bed.

The jury were also told that upon reception into Preston last October he spoke of having schizophrenia which was recorded on a document. Mr McKee then spoke of receiving injections on a three week basis, but had not had any for five weeks.

A doctor at the prison, Dr Neera Nirula, said she saw Mr McKee on four occasions. She had been told he was taking his medication.

Mr Alan Scott, governor at Wymott prison, was asked to carry out an investigation. A number of weaknesses were found when systems and protocols of mental health outreach were examined.