BURY FC: BURY'S poor form of late continued when they lost 1-0 to Rotherham in a result that leaves them teetering dangerously above the Division Two danger-zone.

On the other hand, Rotherham went to the top of the table after this dour game.

Imlach returned to the Bury side that never looked in the game. Walton was missing for the Shakers.

Next up is Leicester, who are in second place behind Rotherham.

Meanwhile, the reserve team lost 3-1 to Manchester United in front of 2,337. There were many talented youngsters on show from Old Trafford and Haynes grabbed Bury's consolation.

The United team was: Crompton, Foulkes, Bent, Gibson, Jones, Edwards, Webster, Violett, Blanchflower, Doherty, Pegg.

FOOTBALL: BURY Boys lost 2-1 to Hindley Boys in the first round of the English Schools Trophy.

The result was disappointing but never in doubt as they Bury side struggled to create any worthwhile openings. Only hall looked lively and his performance was rewarded with a goal.

The team was: Rushton, Clark, Abbott, Conway, Hayman, Moriaty, Marsh, Hardman, Hall, Flynn, Ross.

RUGBY UNION: BURY slumped to a 31-3 defeat at the hands of Oldham in this derby fixture.

Oldham held an eleven point lead at half-time and battered a very poor Bury side. Only McGuiness, Cheetham and Gunby up-front showed any class for the visitors.

The team was: Faulds, Ryder, Crosland, Chappell, Chant, Mawson, Clough, Walters, Jessop, Chanter, McGuiness, Relle, Farnworth, Gundry, Cheetham.

From the Bury Times of Tuesday, October 10, 1978

BURY FC: THE Shakers returned from Brentford with a hard-earned 1-0 victory thanks to Ken Beamish's first goal for the club.

Beamish, a £33,000 buy from Port Vale, scored in the 71st minute from Gordon Taylor's corner. Dave Gregory's shot had initially been blocked on the line.

The win was well-deserved and capped a fantastic week for the Shakers in which they won a tribunal with local rivals Bolton Wanderers over the signing of John Ritson.

Wanderers wanted £50,000 for their former skipper but Dave Hatton's men only offered £25,000 for the full-back. The tribunal ruled that Bury's offer was reasonable and settled on the £25,000 fee.

The signing is a real coup for Hatton who will see Ritson as an ideal man to skipper and strengthen a side that is struggling at the wrong end of Division Three.

FOOTBALL: Highfield United continued their impressive form of late with a 3-2 win over Wythenshawe Amateurs.

Thomson gave Highfield the lead after good work from Oliveiro before Heaton and Oliveiro went close themselves.

Heaton scored Highfield's second before Harper produced some fine saves to keep his side's lead intact.

Spurnell scored a brace to restore parity for Wythenshawe before Beaumont scored the winner from Thomson's centre.

RUGBY UNION: Bury RUFC got back to winning ways with a super 11-7 win over Old Salians.

Graham Smith returned at prop and Dave Duncan at outside-half to strengthen the team from last week's loss against Rochdale.

John Gehlharr set Bury on their way when he skipped past three men before crashing over.

Dave Noble scored a try and a penalty to extend the lead as Bury extended their winning run to five wins in nine games; their best start for 3 years.

Peter Sellars will return at wing forward for the trip to Keighley on Saturday.