BURY FC: Bury are hoping centre half Bill Tucker will be back at the heart of their defence for tomorrow's visit to Sealand Road where they face a Chester side with one of the most remarkable playing records in the Football League.

Tucker is still feeling the effects of a calf injury aggravated at Carlisle a fortnight ago, but he has a fair chance of making an 11th hour return as the Shakers bid to become only the second side this season to defeat Alan Oakes's men in front of their own crowd.

Meanwhile, top of the table Manchester City Reserves twice took the lead on Tuesday night, but could not shake off the Gigg Lane second string terriers, who were rewarded with a hard-earned point after a 2-2 draw.

City, more often than not looked the slicker outfit and fielded several players with first team experience. Colin Bell, back on the ground where he first made his mark in soccer, limped through the game in an unaccustomed centre half role, but still had the skill to control a ball and make good use of the possesion.

Nevertheless, it is a tragedy that such a splendid player has such difficulty in running. His tussle with Steve Johnson was one of the highlights of the evening, with Johnson coming out of it with great credit.

With better support and service he would have made an even bigger impact.

GOLF: Alan Squires continued his remarkable success story in the Walmersley Open Scratch competition when he led the field on Sunday by 11 shots after 36 demanding holes.

Two 69s represent rounds of three under par and that was far too good for the opposition as Squires, the Oldham player and former Lancashire champion, won the north west's curtain-raiser for the second time.

His first success came in 1976 and he followed that by tying on 146 with Alan Jones of Heaton Park last year.

From the Bury Times of Wednesday April 22, 1953

BURY FC: Saturday's awful 4-0 defeat to Blackurn Rovers means Bury still need a point to ensure they don't follow Barnsley out of Division Two.

It was arguably the worst Bury performance of the season and they will need to get back to winning ways when they travel to Forest later this week.

The wingers Daniel and Gleadall created little in front of 21,094 spectators. Kirk was good in goal but Quigley ran the show for Rovers, who could've buried the Shakers by a heavier margin if they had wanted.

May, deputising for Greenhalgh who was down with an infection, played well beyond his years but it was to no avail as Bury struggled in the Ewood sun.

Meanwhile, football fans will be flocking to the Co-Operative Hall on Knowlsey Street next week to meet legend Stanley Matthews, who is appearing.

FOOTBALL: Bibby and Baron's ran out worthy winners of the Porritt Cup final after they stuffed Irwell Forge 5-1.

Against the run of play, Warmby and Evans put the winners into the lead before a Lea header seemed to kill of Forge.

However, Forge came storming back with a goal from Walton before Holt hit the crossbar.

Warmby then bagged a penalty as Jones missed one for the Irwell side to cap a miserable afternoon.

Warmby sealed the win with his hat-trick goal to the delight of the Bibby and baron's supporters.

RUGBY UNION: Bury's 11-9 victory over Oldham must rank as one of their best ever performances.

They Bury side were never expected to win but played a superb physical game to knock the Oldham forwards out of their stride.

Oldham were leading 9-5 before Bury stormed back with a Farnworth hat-trick securing the win.

The 'A' side lost 25-6 to Oldham. Wardle scored two tries.