A GAS leak brought Union Street in Darwen to a standstill for more than two hours.

Pedestrians and drivers were stopped from entering the area after contractors accidentally broke through gas piping at 9.30am.

Fire crews used specialist absorbent materials to seal the leak before repair teams from Transco arrived. The area was sealed off by police as a precaution.

Sub officer Steve Harrison said: "Cars and pedestrians had to be stopped from accessing the area as smoke or sparks could have caused an explosion."