Tyldesley 14 Broughton Park 5: TYLDESLEY RU produced a solid performance to overcome Broughton Park 14-5 in the second round of the Powergen Intermediate Cup.

After last week's disappointing home defeat Tyldesley faced up to one of the former big clubs of Lancashire rugby with some excellent forward play and astute tactical kicking earning them a third round berth for the first time in the club's history.

The visitors scored first working the ball to the left before moving to the right with the fly half chipping the ball over the Tyldesley defence and the winger chasing the ball down in the corner to score.

Undeterred, Tyldesley began to make the running and a string of well judged passes saw right wing Gary Corbett finish in the corner and the touchline conversion from Mark Dickinson saw Tyldesley go into break in the lead 7-5.

The second half saw Broughton Park start strongly but their early onslaught was snubbed out as Tyldesley defended well and the visitors missed their chances. With twenty minutes to go the Tyldesley pack rumbled forward again with Rhys Morgan and Craig Pulman making good ground. With the line just a couple of metres away Tyldesley drove again and prop James O'Connor capped another fine game when he touched down to the right of the posts allowing Dickinson a simple conversion.

Tyldesley now travel to Kirkby Lonsdale on Saturday hoping to keep their unbeaten away league record intact.

Tyldesley Knights had no game but Dragons did going down 21-10 against Trafford in non-league game.

Tyldesley Under 9s dominated Colne & Nelson running out winners 45-0. Debutant Aaron Both had a excellent game and tries came thick and fast from Josh Withers, Josh Chapman and George Dickinson.

The Under 11s also entertained a big and physical Colne & Nelson side and shared the spoils in a excellent 20-20 draw.

Tyldesley U13 lost heavily against Waterloo in the Lancashire Cup.

The most improved team at the moment the Under 15s just get better and better. Facing a big Oldham side they didn't waste time with centre Chris Wakefield scoring within two minutes of the start. Tyldesley kept up the pressure with the back row of Chris Thomason, Stefan Puntz and Ally Sheard all having excellent games.

Good work from the pack allowed the backs to spin the ball wide, which resulted in Wakefield scoring another three tries taking his total to 18 this season.

In the second half Tyldesley seemed to ease off and let Oldham score three unconverted tries. However Tyldesley finished strongly with Wakefield making the break before passing to Chris Thomason in support who scored under the sticks.

The Colts picked up two points when Wallasey failed to raise a side.