HOUSES in Ramsbottom were without electricity last Thursday night, after fire from a burning building spread to overhead cables.

The blaze started in a storage unit at Stormer Mill, on Mill Street, at around 8.25pm, and quickly destroyed the portable accommodation.

After spreading to the high voltage overhead lines, 44 homes were without power for around two hours. United Utilities confirmed that power was returned to all homes before 1.30am on Friday.

Firefighters from Bury and Ramsbottom spent two hours at the scene.