A cold-blooded duo who arranged the killing of a student found dead at a Chorley beauty spot have been jailed for life.

The body of 22-year-old Umair Waseem was found in a car park off Moor Road, Anglezarke, shortly before 10am on February 2, 2009.

Faisal Aslam, 24 of Clarendon Road, Whalley Range and Asim Khan, 26 of Devon Street, Farnworth, were convicted of murder at Manchester Crown Court Crown Square and jailed for life.

They must serve a minimum of 30 years behind bars before they will be able to apply for parole.

Aroon Asad, 21 of Vaughan Road, Chorlton-cum-Hardy, was acquitted of murder.

Umair lived in Fern Street, Bolton, with his mother, sister and brother. He had been an engineering student at Bolton University.

He has been described as being respectful towards his family and was a father figure to his brother and sister.

However, there was evidence he had been dealing drugs, but no motive for his death has ever been established.

Khan had brokered a deal to pay Umair £7,000 to withdraw a complaint he made to police after being attacked in Bolton in the months before his murder.

Umair withdrew the complaint, but never received money.

On the day before Umair was found dead, he had been driving around Bolton in his BMW 7 Series car.

He hired a car that day, a Vauxhall Vectra, and Aslam drove it away later on.

He was lured to the Chorley beauty spot and severely beaten with a heavy blunt object.

A post mortem examination concluded the cause of his death was extreme head trauma.

No murder weapon has ever been found.

When Umair’s body was found on a snowy winter morning, his ankles and wrists were bound and he was wearing two layers of clothing and disposable gloves.

The Vauxhall Vectra was found in Brynorme Road, Crumpsall, and had traces of Umair’s blood inside it.

Detective Inspector Sam Pickering, deputy senior investigating officer, said: “The circumstances of Umair’s death are extremely unusual and he had been the victim of a brutal attack.

”We will never know whether Umair went to that remote spot voluntarily or against his will. We do know he was unable to defend himself against his killers’ blows because his arms were tied behind his back and his legs were bound with tape.

”The only people who know why Umair was killed are now, thankfully, behind bars for a very long time. Today’s result shows Greater Manchester Police’s commitment to pursuing those who are involved in organised crime, and reflects the hard work by Lancashire Police in the early stages of the inquiry before GMP took on the investigation.

”One thing is clear – Umair’s untimely death was needless and it has left his family devastated.”

Umair’s mother, Foozya, paid the following tribute: ”We are so relieved to hear the outcome of the trial for the murder of my son Umair Waseem. We miss him so much and the loss of his life in such a tragic and horrific way has left a big hole in our lives, which is impossible to fill.

”The grief and pain that we have gone though is indescribable but we find some solace in the fact that the culprits have been brought to justice.

”Umair is greatly missed because he was not only my dear son but because he was a wonderful person with a heart of gold. He was loving to all those who were around him. He was kind, respectful and he had a good future ahead of him.”