A CONVICTED child sex attacker who is already behind bars for four years has been sentenced to another 18 months for abusing a little girl.

Former businessman Michael Burrows, now 65, had molested the girl twice in one evening when she was about eight, Burnley Crown Court heard.

The victim 's mother had at first not believed her claims but was then horrified when the defendant was convicted of the other offences and jailed in April last year, Burnley Crown Court heard.

Burrows, of Rose Cottage, Roughlee, Burnley, admitted two counts of indecent assault between 1996 and 1998. He was given 18 months to run consecutive to his current custodial term.

Judge Heather Lloyd said the girl's parents could not understand why she had started to self harm. The victim had had difficult teenage years with drinking and behavioural problems.

The judge said: "Quite how much can be attributed to your sexual assaults on her is difficult to say but it can't have helped any particular problems that she did have, keeping this secret to herself."

Judge Lloyd added: "Her life has been blighted by the experiences and the memory."

Mark Lamberty, prosecuting, told the court Burrows asked her for a hug and then fondled her intimately for about 10 minutes. Later that same evening he again asked her for a hug and did the same thing.

The assaults only came to light when she wrote a letter to her mother explaining what had gone on, when she was 14 or 15. Her mother did not believe her but was then horrified when the defendant was jailed last year.

The prosecutor said in April last year, Burrows was convicted of allegations of sex abuse on a girl when she was aged between four and 13, when he lived in Nelson.

He had also been given an indefinite sex offenders' prevention order, was placed on the sex offenders' register and was banned from working with children.

Hugh McKee, for Burrows, said he would be at least 66 when he was released.

Various orders were in place and anybody who knew him would no doubt ensure he was not in a position to do it again.