Over the years East Lancashire has lost many of its ‘picture houses’.

Taken in 1962, this photo shows the Palladium Cinema at Mill Hill which had recently closed.

Palladium Cinema, Mill Hill, 1962

The cinema, at the corner of New Chapel Street and Queen’s Terrace, had opened in 1920 which explains the extravagant design of the front of the building. The remainder of the cinema was originally not so elaborate as the facade lead to a large wooden structure.

In 1952 a new auditorium was built, much wider than the original, and the cinema was run as an independent cinema rather than being part of a ‘chain’.

When it closed in 1962 it would become a supermarket which it remains to this day.