A drunk man threatened to kill his former partner before attempting to start a fire in the pub where she worked.

Shaun Wareing, 33, told the victim, who worked at the Bee's Knees in Accrington, twice in one phone call that he would kill her, a threat she believed he was capable of carrying out.

Preston Crown Court heard details of the pair’s relationship and how they had not been together for some time by the date of the incident, on June 26, 2022.

A recording was played to the court of a phone call between them. A lot of the speech was muffled but what could clearly be heard were the words: "I am going to murder you".

Lancashire Telegraph: The Bees Knees, AccringtonThe Bees Knees, Accrington (Image: Google Maps)

David Clarke, prosecuting, said later that evening, at around 8.30pm, a barmaid at the Bees Knees pub in Accrington, where the victim worked but was not on shift at the time, noticed a man hanging around outside the entrance.

When she next turned around, the man walked along the footpath outside the pub, and the next thing she noticed was someone stamping out a small fire in the foyer.

CCTV played to the court showed this was the defendant, and though it cannot be seen on the footage, Mr Clarke submitted Wareing had set fire to a face mask while bent down close to the carpet.

The carpet, it turned out, was fire-resistant, but pictures showed scorch marks had been left behind.

Wareing was arrested the same evening and in interview admitted he had called the victim but said he had not made any threats.

He added he did not think he had been into the Bees Knees but knew she was not working on that day.

Wareing was also in court over an offence of inflicting grievous bodily harm during an incident at the Albion Ale House in Clayton-le-Moors on July 23, 2023.

Lancashire Telegraph: The Albion Ale House in Whalley Road, Clayton-le-MoorsThe Albion Ale House in Whalley Road, Clayton-le-Moors (Image: Google Maps)

He was standing at the bar with other men and became angry at one of them who reached over to shake someone’s hand as he was leaving the pub.

Wareing followed the man outside but they shook hands. However, one of the barmaids saw what had happened and phoned Wareing’s partner to tell her of his behaviour.

She then phoned Wareing, and he accused the barmaid of ‘ruining his relationship.’

Two men came over in an attempt to get Wareing to calm down, but he squared up to one of them, Kevin Malone, and punched him in the face.

While Mr Malone was on the floor, he was punched in the face again and hit with Wareing’s knee.

Mr Malone was left with serious injuries around his left eye, including a fractured eye socket and haemorrhaging.

Wareing was arrested and answered no comment to all questions.

Finally, Wareing was involved in an affray at Blackburn bus station on November 18, 2023.

Lancashire Telegraph: Blackburn bus stationBlackburn bus station (Image: Archive)

In this instance, he was on the receiving end of serious violence himself after being set upon by two separate groups of males inside the bus station.

A security guard had seen Wareing direct abuse towards one of the groups and briefly chase one of them as well.

Mr Clarke said when Wareing was transferred to Royal Preston Hospital, he said: “I’m not innocent, I deserved it.”

Wareing answered no comment to all questions when interviewed.

Mitigating, Sarah Magill said her client was a “loving and well-loved, productive member of society when he is sober” and that it’s like a “Jekyll and Hyde situation” when he is sober or in drink.

She added Wareing was taking a considered but intensive approach to addressing his issues with alcohol and that, overall, he is a “bright man.”

In sentencing, Recorder Geoffrey Lowe, referring to the threats made to Wareing’s former partner, said: “You threatened to murder her and to do so more than once.

"It was a sinister phone call and she, at the time, believed you might be capable of carrying it out.

“Later that same evening you went to the Bees Knees in Accrington, where you set fire to a mask in the foyer.

"The CCTV does not actually show you setting fire to things but as a result of that behaviour there were only scorch marks on the carpet.”

Referring to the Clayton-le-Moors incident, the recorder continued: “You abused that barmaid to the extent that she cried. You were not to be calmed at that stage.

“It is a truly appalling injury.”

Lancashire Telegraph: Preston Crown Court Sessions HousePreston Crown Court Sessions House (Image: Archive)

And referring to the Blackburn bus station incident, he said: “This illustrates the danger of your behaviour not only to others but to yourself because as a result of starting in an aggressive way, it descended into what was a very serious incident.”

Wareing, of Augusta Street, Accrington, pleaded guilty to all of the offences against him.

He was sentenced to 10 months in prison, suspended for 18 months, and must complete a 120-day alcohol and abstinence monitoring programme and a six-month alcohol treatment requirement.

He must also complete 20 rehabilitation activity requirement days, 180 hours of unpaid work, and pay £300 in compensation to Mr Malone.