A Blackburn mother left behind six children as well as a loving extended family when she died from taking an excess of prescribed medication.

Jade Farquhar, 31, was found at her home in Blackburn on December 1 by a friend who had stayed over the previous night, an inquest at Accrington Town Hall heard.

Coroner Richard Taylor, reading evidence into the record, said Jade had a history of severe discomfort stemming from the birth of her twins, hence why she was prescribed medication.

Mr Taylor said the night before Jade’s death a friend stayed over at the house and they ate food and watched a film.

Jade then took her medication and went to sleep, and the friend found her unresponsive the next morning.

Emergency services attended and confirmed there were no suspicious circumstances nor was there any third-party involvement.

A toxicology report from Dr Steph Martin at Sheffield Teaching Hospitals found evidence of one painkiller use at a higher concentration than usually encountered in fatalities, and the concentration of another pain relief drug was in the range usually found in deaths.

There was also evidence of other pain relief in the therapeutic range, though these could have enhanced the toxic effects of the other drugs.

A post-mortem examination by Dr Mark Sissons said he believed the cause of death to be severe aspiration pneumonitis (a lung infection caused by inhaling saliva, food, liquid, etc) combined with the effect of the drugs.

Mr Taylor said Jade would have taken the drugs and simply fallen asleep and confirmed that all of the medications Jade took were prescribed to her.

A fundraising page was set up by Jade’s family to help cover the costs of her funeral.

A message on the page said: “I'm raising money to help towards the funeral costs for my Auntie Jade.

“She suddenly died [on] December 1; she left behind six beautiful babies, four sisters and one brother, as well as cousins, nieces and nephews.

“Jade was 30 years old which is no age to die. We as her family are asking for any small help anyone can give.”

Mr Taylor recorded a conclusion of misadventure, saying: “Jade Farquhar was found dead on December 1, 2023, at her home having ingested an excess of prescription medication.”