Rivington Pike has long been a popular destination with walkers - thanks to its panoramic views of the surrounding countryside. 

But here are some facts about the pike that you might not know.

  • The pike derives its name from the Old English ‘hreof’ plus ‘ing’ meaning the rough or rugged hill and pic, a pointed eminence.
  • The hill was recorded as Rovyng in 1325 and Rivenpike in about 1540. Saxton records the name as Rivenpike Hill on his 1577 map.
  • At 1,191 feet (363 metres) high, The Pike is the most westerly high point of Winter Hill in the West Pennine Moors.
  • There are prehistoric sites at Noon Hill tumulus on Winter Hill, at Coblowe hillock by the Lower Rivington Reservoir and it is possible that a standing stone occupied the summit in the prehistoric period.
  • The pike tower is a grade II listed building. The tower is square in plan with sides of 16 feet in length and is 20 feet high.
  • It was built with a wooden roof, three windows and a door, which are now blocked up. Inside it retains a fireplace and once had a chimney.
  • Its single room is 13 feet square with a stone flagged floor and was originally wood panelled. There is a cellar. It was built as a hunting lodge in gritstone and was completed in 1733.
  • John Andrews of Rivington Hall built the tower on the site of the beacon using its stone for the foundations. It was built as a watch tower and used for grouse shooting parties.
  • William Lever gifted land at Lever Park in Rivington to the people of Bolton, which included the pike tower.
  • It was subsequently owned by Liverpool Corporation as part of an agreement for water supplies. The corporation neglected the tower and planned to demolish it in 1967.
  • After a public outcry and legal action the land was transferred to Chorley Rural District Council, which restored the building in 1973 and completed further work in the 1990s.
  • The land is now owned by United Utilities.